Metamorphosis Final Photos

I chose my photos based on the theme of ‘Disgust’ because many of the visual descriptions in the book and the details in the play were used to evoke a sense of disgust in the reader. The disgust either toward Gregor’s family for rejecting him, as somewhat played up in the book, or the disgust toward Gregor for being the creature he is, as seen in the play, revealed the central argument of the work which I felt was about the hidden disgust that reveal honest, human nature can bring forth in people.

The order was decided upon by evaluating which images were the most obscene and most disgusting and then placing those two in the center. The first two are the least obscene, and the last two are somewhere in between. I felt that this order would be appropriate because it would mirror the type of feelings that we had as readers and viewers when first encountering Gregor’s story; at first we embraced him as our central character, rejected him because he would not aid his situation, and then felt ambiguous toward him at the end when he dies as we are left unsure of the true meaning behind the entire work. This set is meant to take the viewer upon a similar chronological journey.

[slideshow_deploy id=’2119’]

Metamorphosis Final Photos — 2 Comments

1. The theme of disgust certainly played a central role in the story, and I appreciated how you incorporated the play in terms of your interpretation of the theme. The chronology of the pictures is interesting, in terms of putting the least revolting at the end, to mirror the ambiguity that the reader feels towards Gregor by the end of the story. However, I feel like the last two photos you posted actually “disgusted” me more than the others. I liked that you used an actual picture of a bug, because it is always good to be reminded of how awful Gregor may have looked, especially when dealing with the theme of disgust.

2. I liked the order you made these pictures to appear. I see the transition between the different interpretations of disgust and I do feel the same way I dif when I first read te story. Looking at these pictures I definitely feel disgusted and dirty, which is a central feeling in the story. Gregor’s transformation and movement relates to these pictures and they do tell the true side of nature, both of the environment and of humanity.