Metamorphosis Mini Exhibition

While reading Metamorphosis, I noticed many different types of pain which led to different outcomes in the story. The most noticeable pain is Gregor trying to adapt to his new body and learning how his body works. The second, is the family and how they have to adapt to not having a stable income in anymore and having to work to support themselves. The third is the pain when Gregor’s father throws apples at his son and it shows how the family is no longer what it used to be and that Gregor is, in actuality, the bug that he morphed to be.

I also think there were many effects of this pain. Gregor was trapped; he couldn’t do anything about his body and the pain he was causing his family. He knew that his family depended on him for help and support and suddenly, he became something he didn’t have any control over. He could no longer provide the support that his family wanted.

Pain could be both mental and physical and I think the one character in the story who experienced both was Gregor. He was in pain, trapped in a body that wasn’t his, he witnessed how his family suffered because of this, he couldn’t do anything to stop it, and he just had to wait for his torture to be over. This isn’t something that is easy to understand so I think that’s why it is an interesting topic to think about.

Credits: Jake Greenberg, Ed Mordechay, Carmela Ruffo, Marc Saadia

Metamorphosis Mini Exhibition — 5 Comments

1. I think the photos you chose were great. Each one signifies the theme of pain in a different way, and also displays pain both physically and mentally. From the physical blood and damaged foot to the face with pain in his eyes, pain is clearly shown. The family and Gregor seem to have a lives of endless pain.

They started out as a poor family struggling everyday to survive. The only light they had in their lives was Gregor, but that was taken away from them. Not only was did they lose him, but he became an obstacle and a detriment to the poor family. Pain is definitely an recurring theme in this book, and I like the way you portrayed it with these photos

2. I like how you chose pain as your main theme of your exhibition. While I didn’t really think much about it before, pain can be scene almost everywhere throughout the story, both physically and emotionally. Starting with all of the family’s financial troubles, to the emotional trauma that they experienced with Gregor’s metamorphosis, as well as the perpetual pain of the apple lodged inside of Gregor.
    I would say that the only scene that i can think of that did not really show pain, was the final scene where the family is finally relieved from Gregor’s presence.

3. I didn’t really take notice of the theme of pain before but I can see it now that you mention it. In addition to the loneliness Gregor suffered he also experienced pain in the physical sense (eg. apples) and the emotional sense (eg. distance, seclusion, financial instability). The pain is amplified in that he can do nothing to stop or remedy it considering that he is a bug.
    The pain the family in readjusting to their new life is also quite heavy-they must resort to all sorts of methods in order to keep themselves afloat, from selling garments to taking in boarders.
    I think the photo you chose of the pair of eyes depicts the theme that you chose quite well; it evokes a sense of despair and sadness to the observer.

4. I really liked your interpretation of Metamorphosis. I agree that the novel portrays not only Gregor’s pain, but the family’s as well. Gregor feels more pain than the family because he has to deal with his transformation completely alone and with his family’s constant disapproval of him. The family doesn’t know how to react to Gregor’s transformation.

Your pictures go well with your experience of the novel because they each represent different types of pain. The pictures show emotional pain and physical pain. I like how you ended with a dead fly because the novel also ends with Gregor’s death.

5. I like the way you focused on the idea of pain and how it develops differently in several relationships throughout the play and book. I had a similar idea, however I focused mainly on the mental pain of Gregor as a result of the physical changes, instead of looking at both separately. I also like how you connected the pictures to the theme. For example, I wouldn’t normally look at a bug and think of pain, but when imagining Gregor as this insect, it makes a lot more sense.
    In general you made great use of the pictures and included a variety of aspects of pain, which is what I personally liked the most about your exhibition.