Mini-Exhibition

While reading Metamorphosis and watching the dance, I never once thought Gregor was lonely. Inevitably, he must have felt lonely. But as a reader, I saw him as more of a singular point. Sort of like the Earth axis, because the story and the other characters revolved around Gregor and the fact of his change. In the book, Gregor was the main character because the story was told through his eyes. But in the dance, there was a split focus on Gregor and on the Samsa family. And in both works, Gregor was always isolated.

Therefore I used photos where the focus was on one thing, or where one thing stood out above the rest. I refrained from using busy photos. The intent of my mini-exhibition was to emphasize Gregor’s isolation without really associating it with loneliness. The idea of Gregor being lonely or depressed makes him seem like a weak character, but he was actually powerful as less of a character to emphasize with but more of a central character.

Mini-Exhibition — 1 Comment

1. While I disagree that Gregor was not lonely, I do think that you chose excellent pictures to illustrate your point. One of the main reasons for my sympathy towards Gregor, was because of his complete loneliness. This feeling was only strengthened after his one “friend”, Grete, gave up on him as well.

The photos you chose really did give off the feeling of loneliness to me. I also liked how you said that in the dance there was a split focus between Gregor and the family. I completely agree with you. During the play I couldn’t help but feel as if I was watch two separate stories at the same exact time. Something that is impossible in a book.