Mood Diary: Major Kovalev and Gregor Samsa

As I read The Nose, the first scenes that formed in my mind were similar to those in dramatic, slap-stick sitcoms. I envisioned a gaudy yellow room with a primly dressed Prascovia Osipovna sweetly pulling a rack of fresh rolls out of the oven. Sort of like a blend between “I Love Lucy” and “The Twilight Zone,” the barber’s life is rather ordinary until disrupted by an odd, unexplainable event. The combination of Prascovia Osipovna’s wild anger toward the nose and her husband’s careless panic is comical.

However, reading part two of The Nose set a different story of ideas in my mind. I noticed that I was more reserved in how I chose to imagine how Major Kovalev acted because the narrator portrayed Kovalev as more authoritative and commanding. Similarly, I was also more toned down in the settings I imagined him in while talking to the Nose. As a character, Kovalev doesn’t focus much on what goes around him using sight, scent, and sound. Instead, there is more internal dialogue than in-depth description. Thus, when I read about Kovalev hurrying to the Police Commissioner’s or going to post the newspaper ad, the only colored element to the scenes were Kovalev; the surroundings were grey.

I think the fact that Kovalev is very focused about himself brings forward interesting themes in his character about humiliation, pride and the need to be presentable. It’s not just the fact that he doesn’t have a nose that makes him feel uncomfortable in society anymore. It’s also knowing that he doesn’t have a grand story to tell others about how he lost it. As the narrator states, “It would have been better, too, to have had my nose cut off in action, or in a duel, or through my own act: whereas here is the nose gone with nothing to show for it — uselessly — for not a groat’s profit!”

I found Kovalev without a nose comparable to Gregor as a roach. Both had previously defined themselves by their appearances in society and their daily routine. Without the ability to easily do either one, they were lost at what to do from then on. Kovalev begins to irrationally accuse others of taking his nose and, ultimately, comprehending how important something so inherent to his person his nose had been. Therefore, when he wakes up the next day with a nose, Kovalev can appreciate life in a different way. If Gregor would have been given the same opportunity, I think he would have stopped his monotonous job and applied himself toward a career he actually enjoyed. Although his family would have initially suffered from the loss of financial support, in the long run, the Samsa family would still have a son.

Works Cited

I Love Lucy. N.d. Photograph. Feedbooks. Web. 8 Oct. 2013. <http://countrygourmethomeofsd.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/kitchenlucy.jpg>.

Mood Diary: Major Kovalev and Gregor Samsa — 2 Comments

1. I really like how you brought in I Love Lucy. I can totally imagine this whole plot being an episode of the show because Lucy was always running into trouble like this. It’s okay though because at the end of the episode, just like at the end of this story, it usually works out and she learns a lesson, just like Kovalev about the importance of his nose.
    Also, I liked your ending and how you made the connection to The Metamorphosis. I was also thinking about that and how there was an aspect in The Nose that was missing in Kafka’s piece. You’re definitely on to something by saying that if Gregor had stopped to realize his monotony and gone after a passion, the lives of the Samsa family members would probably in the end change for the better. Similarly, Kovalev learns a lesson that his nose is important to his character, and appreciates it in a new way. Thus, the difference between these two pieces is that Gogol seems to tie up a few more loose ends at the end of his story,although not all, than Kafka whose piece seemed to be extremely open-ended.

2. Although I did not think about “The Nose” the way you did, I can fully understand why you were prompted to picture certain things. I agree with you on the idea that the beginning scenes of the libretto resemble slapstick comedies. However, I don’t think that Major Kovaloff was portrayed as authoritative. Instead, Major Kovaloff was portrayed as someone who is extremely conscious of his reputation and society’s perception of him. As a result, he is submissive to society’s rigid social rank system.
    While reading the story, I found myself constantly wondering about the dynamics of his character. I wondered if losing his nose or pride would be a wake-up call for him. Will he realize how vulnerable he had become? To my disappointment, Major Kovaloff’s character did not show any major transformation. He continued to be rude, arrogant, and yet submissive.