Mood Diary: “The Nose”

Words cannot be used to describe how I felt while reading The Nose by Nikolai Gogol. 

As soon as I read “He poked two fingers in and pulled out – a nose!” I had to stop reading and put my head down. The absurdity of this story just didn’t settle with me. Used as a metaphor or not, I couldn’t take Gogol seriously, as the image of a nose running around, talking, giving orders, and acting high and mighty ruined the seriousness (if it even had seriousness) of the short novel. I was too busy distracting myself with comedic scenes in my head and trying to fit different voices to the pompousness of the nose.

Another event that bothered me throughout the story was the obliviousness of the people. How could they not realize a nose walking around and interacting with things? I also questioned how big the nose appeared to be. Was it still the same size, walking around in a grown man’s uniform and conversing with its owner or was it enlarged tremendously? How exactly does a nose “[pray] with an expression of profound piety” again? How do the people not question Kovalyov’s lack of a nose on his face? What would Kovalyov sound like, as it definitely can’t be nasally due to his lack of a nose. Would a person even be able to speak without a nose in real life? I couldn’t concentrate on Gogol’s main point with his ridiculous topic.

Works Cited:

Sam Weir. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Oct. 2013. <http://25.media.tumblr.com/bc2bd9ae52d427ae25f20d5c2dba7824/tumblr_mhs1nultQc1rd37xho4_r1_250.gif>.

Gogol, Nikolai. The Nose. Diary of a Madman and Other Stories, translated by Ronald Wilks, Penguin Books, 1987 reprint, pp. 42-70

Mood Diary: “The Nose” — 1 Comment

1. Hey Andrew,

I had a very similar initial reaction to the piece. I sat back and thought, “Why do these authors insist on creating such absurd scenarios to prove their point.” I think that even if you can’t connect with the absurdity, try to sit back and enjoy it. Discard any attempt to pry the story for a meaning and just relax and think about how ridiculous it is. This really worked for me because, instead of criticizing every line, I was able to enjoy the story and by the end the meaning was all too apparent.
    I think with stories like this it is important to try to give the tale a chance. If you dismiss it right away you will never enjoy it or get anything from it. So sit back and bask in the weird.

Austin