Mood Diary: The Nose

The Nose was a very pleasant read. There were many moments where I was completely involved yet confused. I was constantly forced to imagine the world of The Nose and to add information to fill in the gaps of abnormality.

Right of the bat I was imagining a perfectly shaped nose, and I mean perfect, something a person only sees once in a lifetime. If the nose didn’t seem that great than I don’t even think it was worth writing about.  Now Adam Scott’s got one of those noses I would read about.

The mans reaction to the nose being in the bread was very funny because he’ not surprised, but dumfounded. He’s just like Pauly D in this gif, he’s confused and has no idea what’s going on, but he’s not sure what to think about either. In The Nose Jakovlevitch feels even more like this when his wife starts accusing him and threatens to go to the police. That was particularly funny because she was belittling his workmanship and not that a nose ended up in the bread she made. This is also why I speculate that  Jakovlevitch’s wife cut the nose and put it in the bread. This is very plausible because the story closely resembles castration and who else to do it than your own wife, the person you sleep with every night.

The story continues to entertain when Jakovlevitch tries to rid himself of the nose. What perplexes me is that he never thinks of giving the nose back, wouldn’t you want your nose back? Nonetheless, he gets to the bridge and in an attempt to throwing the nose in the ocean,presumably, he gets caught. I feel like he gave this reaction, and even more so when the sentry told him of the nose falling.

The best part of the novel by far was the second part with the Major’s reaction. I feel like the Major thinks of himself as if he were the Great Sphinx of Giza because of his narcissism and because the Sphinx itself has no nose. File:Great Sphinx of Giza - 20080716a.jpg

What also perpetuates me at this point in the story is that the Major asks his valet to pass him a mirror which means that the valet saw the Major’s face, but later on in the story the Major feels embarrassed to show his face even though it was already seen.

My favorite scene in the whole story was when the advertiser gives the Major some snuff, a piece of tobacco you sniff, and the Major goes crazy because he has no nose in order to sniff the tobacco. It was such a nice slice of irony as in this picture where the ice creams are eating the people.

By the end of the novel I think the Major feels like this

Even more so because he rejected Madame’s daughter and he got all this attention from the story of the nose which made him even more popular when he got the nose back.

Overall I thought the story was mainly written to give off some laughs and to create this inception like feel, which cracks fun at class ranking and how it’s a joke that we take it so seriously while it only creates confusion over what is actually real and what isn’t.