Drug Deaths Threaten Rising Business of Electronic Music Fests

Electronic dance music concerts have always been associated with high drug use since the late 1900s. This is primarily because it has become common to find people overdosing during such performances. According to the New York Times article Drug Deaths Threaten Rising Business of Electronic Music Fests, since this March seven people who were at electronic dance concerts in the United States died because of MDMA overdoses, and just last month, the Electric Zoo Festival at Randalls Island was closed down because there was a case of two attendees dying of MDMA overdoses.

“For some reason we have the stamp of drug misuse and I think that it’s unfair,” a well-known DJ at the Electric Zoo Festival said, “It ruins the party for a lot of other people”. It ruins the party for a lot of other people all right. Electric music fests have become increasingly popular and has become a rising business. Along with the massive amount of people attending such events, there is a growing number of investors and sponsors for electric music dance performances. By closing down Electric Zoo, sponsors like Coors Light, Blue Moon beers, Vita Coco, Hi-Chew are also highly affected. This Electric Zoo Festival incident did not just impact those involved in it. The incident at the Randalls Island concert came just a few weeks before SFX Entertainment’s electronic music concert, so SFX also experienced some difficulties in continuing what they organized. The entertainment group had already set up medical reinforcements, high security, and even planned to organize an educational session to discuss the harmful effects of drug-taking. Other electric concert organizers have taken these measures for the past years, but drug casualties have occurred nevertheless. Now electric music festivals are at risk of closing down because of the occasional drug issues, and these organizations find it unfair that their concerts are being classified as events that allow drug use. “Most major festival promoters have zero-tolerance drug policies, and their sites have security checks, free water stations, first-aid tents and ambulances on call”. After going through these security regulations, drugs were still able to infiltrate into the concerts, “No promoter can prevent all drugs from entering a festival site, nor can do they do anything about drugs consumed before an attendee walks through the gate. Yet many in the dance world think promoters and stars need to do more to discourage it”. Many critics believe that it is the responsibility of the organizers to reinforce discouragement to do drugs.

The stereotype that dance concerts are sanctuaries for drug users is incorrect and is an unfair image projected on electronic music festivals. Organizers of such events have already taken measures to prevent drugs from getting into the festival: they have sponsored educational sessions on the harmful and unnecessary effects of drug use, they have increased their security force, and they have hired medical professionals to be en garde at concerts. What else can they do? These entertainment corporations have done their best and have made their message clear that they do not welcome the presence of drug during their performances. They should not be closed down just because some people went out of their way to smuggle drugs and get high during the show. It was the drug users’ choice to make those actions. The consequences resulting from a few individual’s decision to overdose should not be pushed onto the concept of electric music or industries involved in the performances.

So, do you think electric music dance concerts should be closed down because of these drug deaths?

Works Cited

Sisario, Ben, and James McKinley. “Drug Deaths Threaten Rising Business of Electronic Music Fests.” The New York Times. N.p., 9 Sept. 2013. Web. 11 Oct. 2013.

Drug Deaths Threaten Rising Business of Electronic Music Fests — 11 Comments

1. I think this story actually epitomizes how the public is over sensitive to issues now a days. It is absolutely true that drugs are used to excess and frequently at these music concerts, but with the amount of people at all these concerts (tens of thousands) since March the 7 deaths associated with the concerts isn’t a high number. The fact is the news looks for sadness, death, and controversy. It isn’t fun to discuss that statistically more deaths happen in that group size from natural causes in the same amount of time; rather, discuss that drugs are evil and ended the lives of young teens because of this music. It reminds me a lot of when there is a child abducted and it goes in the paper for the next few months parents won’t let their children outside because since one person in poo-dunk- nowhere’sville was crazy enough to do this now everyone is going to do it.

It can be thought of lightly in the Youtube video with the famous line “Hide ya kids, hide ya wife” :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNhaLUT520

2. I think that this is unfair to not only those who attend these electronic music fests out of pure enjoyment but to those who put the shows together, those who perform at the shows and to those who sponsor the shows. It just so happened that people have died of drug overdose after attending these shows. Like you said, the production crew has already heightened security and provided service to medical professionals in case of emergencies. People should not be penalized from expressing their art of music and dance because of individuals who cannot control their drug usage. Besides, its not like the concept of drugs is new in the first place. Drug overdoses are not rare; it happens. Reality happens.

3. I think that the electronic music fests shouldn’t be forced to close down. It is not fair for the people who sponsor the fests, people who work for the fests and the people who enjoy their music. However I do believe they should make harder for people who take drugs to take them during the fest. They can do this by increasing security to dispose of drugs, possibly bag searches? Ultimately it’s not the electronic music fests that are causing the deaths from drug overdoses. It is the people who choose to take these drugs. If people wanted to actually change something about these deaths, they would go to the root of the problem. I feel like shutting down electronic music fests is just a temporary “solution” and that we’re not addressing the real problem which is the unhealthy relationship between our society and drugs. The media and music have made drugs seem cool and hip. I think this is only fueling the rise of drugs for our generation and it’s having a negative effect on society.

4. I believe that the electric music companies have done everything they have done in order to minimize the amount of drugs consumed during the concert. It is nearly impossible to completely make sure that no drugs are brought into the concerts. This is true for every other institution, such as schools with drugs and weapons.

Electric music dance concerts should not be closed down. Deaths happen everyday from various causes, and drug overdose in not uncommon.

5. As a person who is fond of electronic dance music (techno, trance), I am upset that the concerts are getting the blame because of some ignorant people. Like you said, organizers of the concerts have already tried their best to prevent drugs from entering the event, so they did all they could. There are probably many other drug users at other types of concerts as well, yet only electronic dance music concerts are the only type that faces closure? That’s absurd. There will always be people who go around the rule and it’s their own fault for overdosing. Even if there is maximum security, there will probably still be people who can smuggle in drugs. Electronic dance music concerts should not be closed down. It might be a huge blow to the performers and might make them stop making this kind of music, which would be a shame.

6. I don’t believe electric dance concerts should be shut down because of the irresponsible decisions made by drug users. If it’s true that companies are doing their best to prevent such actions, the blame shouldn’t be put on these companies. They can’t possibly catch each and every drug user that decides to attend these concerts while high.
    However, I think the fact that many concerts are closing down because of drug deaths is warning other drug users about the results of their actions. It may deter many drug users from smuggling drugs and getting high during these concerts.

7. The electric music festivals are not responsible for the accidental casualties led by drug abusers. However, the security should take some stricter measure to try as much as it can to eliminate drug users. The performers are absolutely not responsible,either. Not discouraging drug uses does not mean they want their audience to be involved in drugs and enjoy the “pleasure” brought by electric music and drug. I think general public is too sensitive to the drug issue. People can’t just shut down the show to eliminate drug use in general society. In addition, those who really purely enjoy the music would suffer from the shut down. If the show is closed down, some need might be met, but a larger interest would be jeopardized.

8. It is impossible to stop the use of drugs at electric dance music concerts. These companies can only minimize the use of drugs with high security preventing drugs from getting in, but there will always be people who sneak drugs in. I believe these electric dance music companies have done all they can to prevent drug use at their concerts. I do not feel they deserve to shut down due to a problem they cannot fully control. Hopefully these concerts can get even better than they are at stopping drugs from getting into the concert and will not need to shut down in the future.

9. I appreciate that these companies are doing all they can to prevent drug use, but I was always under the impression (I guess from media and knowing people who go to these events) that drugs is part of the EDM experience. Almost everybody I know who is really deep into this music is on drugs, and this music enhances the experience. There’s a strong correlation. The thing is, I don’t know if that means these festivals should be shut down completely. Many people partake in drug use but very few die from it, and it’s questionable that these people wouldn’t be doing drugs without the music. The music is just a venue for it. So while I disagree with many who say that only a few ignorant EDM listeners take drugs, I agree with you that the companies involved in these events are doing all they can.

10. I agree that the concert organizers have done enough to discourage drug use. The responsibility can’t lie fully with them – peoples’ individual choices will never be fully controlled by a higher entity, be it the government, a parent, or concert organizers. And I don’t think that concerts need to be closed because of these drug related deaths. Yes, of course the deaths are problematic, but neither the blame nor the responsibility lies with the concert organizers, and fellow concert goers shouldn’t be penalized for the poor choices of a few whovpayed the ultimate price.

11. I think it is absolutely unfair that the decisions of drug-users are affecting the sponsors and organizers of these music fests. They should not close down because there are people out there who are too ignorant to notice the negative effects of their behaviors. I think organizers of these events have done a lot already to try and prevent drug use, but there really is nothing they can do to fully stop people from taking drugs such as MDMA. I know security guards during these events conduct thorough pat downs before people can get on to the ferry, and if any of the security guards can tell that you’ve been taking drugs, they won’t allow you to enter. Overall, I think we need to start at the root of the problem, the people.