Hi I’m Jake, and I am a Vidiot (videogame idiot)

It is amazing to me how much of the current world has become virtual. I never thought I could have an argument with someone over whether or not my human girlfriend is hotter or less hot than his virtual one.

Emily-Ratajkowski depositphotos_6588780-Cartoon-girl

I bring this up because the article I read on the New York Times Art Section was devoted entirely to 4 new video games. It has become so ingrained in our American culture that rather than movie critics there are now video game critics. Video games, that were originally created as a mindless activity to pass the time (Snake) have no become so artful and mastered that the critics don’t discuss how fun it is to play, but talk about how truly comparable the graphics or story line are to real life. The first game discussed is the new NBA (national basketball association) game called NBA 2K14. The article actually tries to downgrade it because the story mode in which you can play through the career of a real life player doesn’t have better options than the year before (NBA 2K13). I feel that getting fulfillment in living vicariously through a virtual character via a video game is a big problem in this new generation. In the next two games (“Infinity Blade” and “Rain”) they discuss how realistic the game is and how the new idea in gaming is more to show how un-animated they can make a game, rather than the actually content of the game. Frankly, gamers and the people creating these games wanting it to be real life shows just how antisocial the younger generations are getting.

I made my title for this post off of a joke me and my dad say to my little brother in which we talk about his video game addiction as if it is a AA (alcoholics anonymous) meeting. My brother doesn’t hang out with many friends and yet insists he has plenty because of the people he speaks to through his Xbox or PC headset. The nuances of conversation, facial expressions and hand gestures, are becoming lost and, at least on the personal level of my brother, is leading to poor social skills in school and the work place.

bush-confused-frown-aa

It was refreshing, however, to see the review of the last game (Pokemon X and Y). They discussed how this game, started in the 90s, stays to the concept of just fun interactions with monsters, Pokemon, and this unrealistic virtual world. To me, that is what the extent of video games should be. It shouldn’t be a replacement for life, but an addition to it.

I don’t mean to seem like I hate video games because I don’t. I play video games on rainy days or to relax during this week of midterms, but it’s to escape from life in a mindless activity. When I play NBA 2K13, I don’t play 15 straight hours, trying to finish story mode. Instead, I play a 30 minute game without trying to live out the life of a fake character. I really don’t see any benefits to critiquing video games for anything more than explaining the activities the game offers because it is just that, a game.

I also want to say that I’m not advertising playing sports or outside activity instead. Regardless of the activity I just personally believe it is beneficial to interact with people in person and go out and see what the world has to offer, rather than try and find a game that gets close to offering something realistic.

My question to you all is this: Why do people find the need to ingulf themselves in a virtual world that tries to be real?  Do you think it is okay to make video games more than just a past time and make it basically your life?

http://global.factiva.com.remote.baruch.cuny.edu/ga/default.aspx?imt=2&ao=14&aod=1811683

Hi I’m Jake, and I am a Vidiot (videogame idiot) — 16 Comments

1. I can see the appeal in a virtual world; you can do and say things that you can’t say or do or would be looked down on in reality. There are no consequences to actions and there is a near endless array of experiences to choose from. And I think that it is precisely this problem-this transformation of the virtual world into one that mimics reality-that has people hooked on video games. For example, this article praises the virtual world, even going so far as to say that it is now the new real world. (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/27/arts/video-games/madden-nfl-25-portrays-real-football.html?_r=0)

I agree with what you’re saying, that more and more people have lost the ability to interact with each other and we can blame this on technology, or in this case, video games. When a virtual world starts to become more appealing than reality then a problem occurs. People become addicted to living a “perfect” life. Why would anyone want to face reality when you can just rob and shoot and fuck your way to riches? (Eg. the GTA series) Some video games even grant players supernatural powers and the chance to play as a otherworldly character that they idolize. By crossing these lines video games change from a pastime to something that consumes up to 8 hours of your life a day. No one wants to “go back” to reality and this can lead to a loss of social skills.

I personally miss those pixelated video games but I guess times have changed given how NBA2K14 and GTA have basically replaced them.

2. I wish you elaborated on your introduction more and explained its significance, because I’m sure there are people that would be perplexed by the reality of virtual girlfriends. In fact, I didn’t even know about the existence of “waifus” until I stumbled on a youtube video the other day that explained the birth and absurdity of this new movement (I don’t even know if it should be categorized as such). It’s very interesting nonetheless.

I can’t say I know the video game world very well. But I believe that no matter how realistic video games get, there will always be those that find escape in things far removed from their everyday life, be it pixelated, drawn, or living and breathing in the form of Kpop idols. My point is, as with any culture that has grown as large as that of the virtual reality gaming, it’s never as simple as the case of an antisocial shut-in living in denial. Those that take video games to the extreme are probably a minority, albeit one that’s very present and alive. In a world where everything is expected to be super sharp and “retinal,” it’s no surprise that the ante is upped in the gaming world. How people react to such innovation really depends on those people alone and their personalities. I don’t blame New York Times for focusing on how real games look because that’s just how it is. If people can’t control themselves, it’s just too bad.

3. I think you hit the nail right on the head with this one, Jake. I agree with your standpoint almost 100%. I am a video game fan myself as well, but there has to be a limitation. I used to be that guy staying up into the wee hours of the morning playing these games and admittedly have my addictions every now and then. I know better now. I think that this has become a big issue in our society. People are lacking necessary social interaction and the games we all love are limiting our creative possibilities and horizons. I enjoy your writing style as well. It feels as if I could be talking right too you-very casual and definitely in your own voice. Violent video games and their too-realistic qualities are a problem all their own. We are succumbing to living vicariously as you said through these virtual realities and hey, computer and phone use along with television watching is not exempt here either. We are the dummy generation plain and simple. This may be a bit extreme, you say, but it looks as though we are certainly heading down that road.

4. I also believe that video games have gotten extremely out of hand, in terms of their control over our generation. People view video games not merely as a form of entertainment, but as a parallel universe in which they live in. Your brother is not the only child who relies on his social life via video games. In fact, i would venture to say that every generation from here on out will become more engrossed and reliant on video games for their social lives. Talking to somebody over a headset whose hundreds of miles away who does not even know your name or face is not socializing, its mindless chatter that can actually harm our communication skills.
    In fact, the article your brought up reminded me of a TED video that my speech class watched. The speaker, Julian Treasure, discusses how people are unable to listen anymore. It has become such a challenge for young people to focus and pay attention to what is in front of them. Video games are a perfect reason for this. With so much going on at once, with the screen changing every nano-second, and with our attention being held with flashy graphics and computerized people, it’s no wonder humans are losing communication skills. I loved how you advocated for real life sports and activities at the end of your piece. There are few things more important and productive than getting outside and exercising with friends, family, or people at the park.
    The link to the TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/julian_treasure_5_ways_to_listen_better.html

5. I agree with you completely about gaming being an addition to life rather than substituting it. As a gamer for many years, I never tried to look at games as a way to live an alternate life. All of the hours I put into games like Pokemon or Call of Duty supplemented my actual life. I do disagree with your views on the gaming critic, however. With a series like NBA 2K, Madden, or Call of Duty, the content of the game must be criticized because the newest additions should build on the old games. The reason why the new Pokemon X and Y are so critically acclaimed, for example, is because they made some great changes to the series while keeping to their roots. IGN’s Kat Bailey writes about this in an article about the backwards compatibility in the Pokemon series. The newest games will allow you to export Pokemon from older games and it has the original starters from the very first game.
    Your final point about the social impact of gaming is very true. It is kind of funny playing games with people around the world that yo do not even know. Instead of going out to play handball or to just walk around, I am home in my room playing Madden. I feel that gaming has affected my social life as well. I sometimes feel more comfortable speaking and being myself online in a game than at school where I am more reserved.http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/14/backwards-compatibility-pokemons-secret-weapon

6. Children nowadays are all about technology. Kids try to play video games as much as they can. Once they start they set a goal for themselves to win. That’s why they play for hours on end. I find that it’s true and that graphics and relatedness to reality have a lot to do with the games appeal. My little cousin remarked on how he didn’t know how people played the old video games because they were “boring.” When I asked what was boring about them he said “I don’t know they just look boring.” Video games definitely do take away from the development of social skills. The lack of physical contact with the outside world can make video-game enthusiasts into awkward people of the real world. In the article http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2011/01/17/video-game-addiction-tied-to-depression-anxiety-in-kids, it is discussed how video games are closely linked to the development of depression.

7. I know this is an entry mostly focused around video games, but what really stood out to me is the emphasis you put on social interaction. I’m not much of a gamer, but I do spend a LOT of time on the Internet. Between being on an actual computer, on my phone, or my iPad, I think it’s safe to say that I’m constantly tethered to some kind of virtual world.
    But that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Just because I could honestly say that I spend, say 10+ hours on the Internet, it doesn’t mean that I’m a social weirdo with no friends. Quite the contrary. In addition to a handful of close offline friends, I have a handful of close online friends. The fact that I have yet to meet most of them in person, and have only communicated with them through Skype, doesn’t make them any less important to me than my offline friends.
    It bothers me a little when you made the implication that virtual or online friendships aren’t real. Of course, I don’t know the situation with your brother, but for me and many, many others like me who are immersed in the subculture that has sprung up around video games and the Internet, these friendships are very, very real. It’s not as though we’re talking to a computer or a simulation. Whether it’s on Skype, a forum, or through a headset in the middle of Halo, we’re talking to real, living people, with their own lives and opinions and quirks and interests. It’s the exact same idea as writing letters to a pen pal, but people seem to look down on these relationships just because they’re online.
    I found an interesting article about one person’s experience with online friendships. After a fire destroyed her online friends’ home, fellow bloggers rallied together and were able to bring in money and gifts and other forms of support to help the family through this tough time. This might seem like an incredible, out-of-the-ordinary story, but I found myself nodding my head, because I see things like this happen pretty frequently on smaller scales: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-belkin/bloggers-rescue-fire_b_1190248.html
    I don’t think it’s fair to say that video games or Internet use hinders your social skills. In this modern age of webcamming and voice chatting, it’s very easy to maintain a long distance friendship with someone, or several someones. They’re real people, not video game simulations. Being emotionally attached to them is just as normal as being emotionally attached to your offline friends.

8. I believe that people who seek out to play realistic video games are probably using them as an escape. In a negative way, people are most likely trying to cope with problems in the real world by hiding themselves within the virtual world. Or possibly they just want to relieve the stress from their daily life with a world that is all their own. Video games do have a large hold on the human mind. I know when I am playing a video game with an interesting story I am determined to going through it till the end. For me it is like a good book. I am so interested in what will come next that I would lose track of time in the real world.
    I do understand your point on how video games have a negative effect on social skills but I think that depends on certain variables. In my little brothers case he is generally well liked among his classmates and he is more social than me at times despite the fact he plays video games nonstop. For him video games are a second tool to socialize that does not affect the real world. I think its okay for video games to part of your day, but not your life unless that was your job of course. An interesting view onn your question can be found in this article http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/10/14/the-burden-of-realism-in-grand-theft-auto-5/.

9. I agree it’s pretty scary how the virtual world is taking over our lives, even aside from video games, but just in general our obsession with the latest iPhone and social media. I think everyone knows this deep down but because it’s such a big market right now, people are taking advantage of it and taking our addiction further. The more they expand our options the more hours we’ll be spending in front of our TVs. I read an article called “It Isn’t Just About Fun and Games” and it’s about a guy recalling his experience with getting hooked on video games http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/arts/video-games/an-ardent-video-gamer-recalls-how-he-got-hooked.html?ref=video-games. He looks back on the days when he would play for hours and says “Was Mom even home? Sometimes she wasn’t. At the time, I wouldn’t have noticed.” I think that’s extremely sad and proves how far we’ve gone into the world of video games when we become unaware of any actual humans around us. I wonder how far it’ll go before people realize how unhealthy it is and how serious it is that an unimaginable amount of hours a day is spent staring at the screen.

10. It’s definitely not okay for people to become so infused in their gaming that they forget how to live their real lives. In this article on Gamesradar.com,http://www.gamesradar.com/make-a-living-playing-video-games-because-now-its-possible/
    the author discusses the affects of being paid for playing video games. This really shows how much of an impact games have on our generation. Not only are video games played for fun, but they are being played for money. The sad truth is that people are so obsessed with the different forms of gaming that they struggle to live a relatively normal life; including communication skills. Technology has taken over the world with both positive and negative consequences, but no one should be trying to make the virtual world more into their real world.

11. The way you enlarged the scope of the article, encompassing the larger issue at hand rather than just commentating on the four new video games was ingenious and well-thought. Similarly to your analysis, I believe the gaming world is become more and more people’s realities. My cousin is one such person. Even though he recently started college this fall, he still spends all day and night playing and commentating on videos games. Instead of enjoying and experiencing the college life his parents are paying for, he is fighting with people on Facebook defending a character he created for one of his many video games. I am not judging or scuffing at his actions, I am just concerned that as he gets further and further immersed in the gaming world he’ll lose the skills necessary to be successful in the real world. Like you hinted at in your analysis – What happens to someone’s social skills when they spend hours in solitude? Do they forget how to make friends or how communicate without a headset on? When does the once pass time activity become someone’s reason for being? As the saying goes – too much of anything isn’t good, it’s all about moderation.

12. In response to your questions, I don’t think videogames try to be replacements for real life. Yes, many games do strive for realism in order to immerse the player, but it is the players that make it real for themselves. Think of videogames similarly to modern nonfiction novels. When you really get into a book, it is natural to place yourself into the world and in the shoes of the characters within the book. Authors often strive to immerse the reader in their story, in an effort to keep them reading. Is that really a bad thing? You might consider both videogames and books a sort of escapism, but maybe escapism isn’t so bad. There are things that are much worse sorts of escapisms, like alcohol and other drugs. Of course, its important for there to be a healthy balance – so perhaps videogames all the time, non-stop is dangerous. But videogames are just another element of entertainment and popular culture that had spawned communities of players who feel a sense of belonging. Perhaps your brother wouldn’t socialize without videogames – perhaps they are helping him much more than you believe they are hurting him.

13. First I want to say that I personally am not really a video game person, however I do know many people who are. My opinion on the matter is that like everything else in life, balance is extremely important. Its ok to spend a few hours a week enjoying yourself and playing video games. Some find it as a release, and I find nothing wrong with that as long as its in moderation.

However, playing multiple hours a day is definitely unhealthy for someone, both physically and mentally. Too much of anything is not good foe you. I think that when played in the right balance, video games are no worse than watching a little TV, which is something that we all do. If thats what people like to do to relax than thats fine as long as you find that balance and make sure to make time for real social interactions as well. It is extremely important for kids to grow up in a social environment and not run to video games so they can develop their mental health. This article (http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/video_gaming.html.) supports many of the comments I made on your post.

14. The title of this article caught my attention. I completely agree with everything you mentioned in your post. Nowadays people, especially teenagers rely too much on video games. People are starting to use video games as a means of meeting new people and escaping reality rather than just a form of entertainment. Video game makers are becoming obsessed with finding ways to make video games resemble real life. I think they’re trying to make games that are similar to real life, but better, so people can escape reality with a twist. From a producer’s perspective, this seems like a good idea because what better way to get people addicted to video games than making them a better version of reality. However, this defeats the initial purpose of video games being just a form of entertainment. Also, the fact that some people refer to players they meet on video games as friends seems bizarre to me considering they’re most likely never going to meet them or even know who they really are.
    I found an interesting article that supports your blog because it explains how a little boy started playing video games at the age of 5 and got hooked. He describes video games as “entirely frivolous” and better than watching TV shows (It Isn’t Just About Fun and Games). The boy continued playing games even throughout college. However, he didn’t let video games replace his real life because he knew they were trivial. This is a lesson that everyone should keep in mind as they’re playing these games.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/arts/video-games/an-ardent-video-gamer-recalls-how-he-got-hooked.html

15. This post hits close to heart because I used to be a video game geek for a large part of my elementary, middle and high school years. I believe that you are commenting on two vastly different aspects of video games, but are treating them as if they are just one. There’s a fine line between appreciating the ‘ story’ element of a video game, and getting completely lost in a video game. There was a stage in my life where I would stay up playing Call of Duty online: hours and hours of this almost mindless activity. Did I play the story mode? No, not really. Did I appreciate the narrative? I wouldn’t say so. I found myself lost in the game and constantly thinking about it. On the other hand, I also played a game called Metal Gear Solid. Anyone aware of the saga knows that more important than the graphics and just as important as the gameplay is the plot and story line. It’s the same like a movie or a book. The difference is to realize the difference between reality and fantasy. See http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/science/studying-the-effects-of-playing-violent-video-games.html?_r=0 But I don’t think there’s anything wrong with appreciating a video game’s plot or judging it on a higher literary plane than was before.

16. I really like that you acknowledge the fact that video games have become artworks. With all of the graphic design that goes into them, video games truly are more than just mindless games to pass time. They are now designed to elicit a certain mood or feel in the gamer, and it might be because of this that gamers become so fixated by their games. As we look to art to feel something, perhaps gamers use video games as an escape and experience something they cannot in their ordinary lives. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing, so as long as it doesn’t cross some boundaries. Nice pictures by the way. They scream “Jake Greenberg.”