Dancing Freely

For my interview I met with a young lady named Logan Mitchell who is studying in a pre-professional program in dance. She currently attends the program at Broadway Dance Center, on the West Side. She has danced for most of her life and is truly passionate about it, her passion can be seen throughout the interview. She was excited and eager to answer my questions, it is apparent she loves what she does.

What is your name and where are you from?

Logan Mitchell, and I am from Long Island New York… Syosset

How are you involved with the arts of NYC?

I am a student at Broadway Dance Center in a pre-professional program for dance. I am learning from some of the best dancers and choreographers in New York, many of them work full time on Broadway or in productions and dance on the side.

When did you decide that you wanted to be involved in arts of NYC?

When I was in High school I decided that I wanted to become a dance teacher. I want to be a public school dance teacher in New York City because I want to inspire students. I want to inspire students to feel dance, I want them to move not because of a technicality but because they feel that way.

What draws you to teaching rather than, say, performing?

When I went to LaGuardia High school for Arts I was passionate about dance but there were some bad teachers. So bad that they almost turned me off of dance all together, and I don’t want to ever have another person turned off of dance on account of a bad teacher. I want to be the teacher that inspires a student to love dance like I do, unlike some of the teachers I had.

Bad teachers?

Well one teacher, Mrs. P, was infamous for playing favorites. Right away when you walked in she decided whether or not she liked you and if she didn’t like you she basically tried to make your life hell. She made me cry on multiple occasions and completely turned me off of Ballet, even today, a few years later, I am still hesitant to do Ballet because of her.

That’s terrible! What did she do to make you cry?

She said things that she knew would bother me on purpose like how stupid I am, how I need to lose weight, she was just… too much. Way too much. She would never be helpful or guiding, she is basically the opposite of what I want to be in a teacher. She would criticize your technique, not explain what you did wrong and make fun of you in front of the class. It was just terrible.

Sorry to hear that, how has your experience in the Pre Professional Program been thus far?

Oh it’s been amazing! Absolutely amazing! I get to meet people who are actually passionate about what they do. Back in middle school and even into high school I was surrounded by people who felt they were forced to be there. Whether by their parents, relatives or even themselves they would not be there by passion. I finally feel like I am surrounded by people like me, people who love dance. I also think it is so awesome that I am surrounded by professionals that truly care about you and make you “feel” the dance, rather than just the technicalities, which is the most important part!

What do you mean by “feel”?

I mean expressing yourself, how you are, in dance. It is nearly impossible to put in words but it’s just, putting yourself on display. The true you.

Do you plan on following the arts further? Where to possibly?

Like I said before my end game goal is to be a teacher at a public high school in New York City, but before then I would want to go to either CUNY Hunter College or SUNY Brockport because they offered me a scholarship to be on their dance team. They both have very good dance teaching programs, something that is rare.

If you want to become a teacher why did you not go straight to Hunter or Brockport?

Well I saw that as something I could always do, but I saw this opportunity as a once in the lifetime chance to be around people as passionate about dance and truly learn everything there is to dance from people who actually know what they are talking about.  And I appreciate every moment in this school, I am truly lucky and so grateful to be in such an amazing environment.

What has been your best experience in the dance school so far?

Well this one class stands out in my mind, it is my seminar class. It is contemporary music and it is a class like none I have ever taken.

How so?

Well there are three teachers, the best teachers I have ever had. The three classes I took with them were amazing and I really love each individual teaching style. The teachers are Joanna Numata, Derek Mitchell, and Brice Mousset. In the class with Joanna, she focuses on the technical aspects, she corrects the little things that you would normally miss. She is so nice and guiding in the way she tells me how to dance that I really appreciate it. The other class with Derek is so fun and he is really passionate to the point where I love spending time with him. He has an amazing sense of humor and lights up the whole classroom when he walks into a room. Finally, my favorite class ever is with Brice. She has freedom of movement and emotional connection. She truly wants people and helps us to feel the music and flow with it. When I become a teacher I want to incorporate aspects of all the teachers, Joanna’s technique and helpful tips, Derek’s sense of humor, and Brice’s expression of emotion.

If you could become involved with anything in NYC having to do with the arts where would you go?

I would first become a famous dancer on Broadway before I went on to become a teacher. I would want to work with the best known choreographers and dancers in the field before becoming a teacher. I want experience that I could relay to the students and learn things from the best of the best before I try to inspire my future students.INterview