functional artists

Background:

With the task of interviewing an artist, I immediately contacted my close friend Zara Z Tamton. Born and raised in Staten Island, New York, Zara always had a love for drawing. Her hobby of doodling on every paper handed to her developed into something serious during her years at Staten Island Technical High School. Influenced by her high school’s prevalent engineering scene, Zara decided to pursue architecture. What she considers, “the perfect mixture of beauty and functionality.” Today, she is studying architecture at The City College of New York.

How exactly did your love for architecture begin?

Well, I went to an engineering high school and I took a class that taught students how to use CAD, computer-aided design. I finished all my assignments well before the due dates; so to keep me busy my teacher gave me architectural layouts to recreate. I loved the extra work and was really good at it so when the college application process started, I looked into schools with strong architecture programs.

Describe some projects you are currently working on.

Last month my studio class went to the MOMA to see Le Corbusier’s architecture exhibit. Le Corbusier spent most of his life in the contemporary architecture world and revolutionized how things are designed. Our assignment is to recreate his cabanon, French for house, into a sectional model in a 1.5 to 1 scale. I am only a student so it is daunting having to recreate work by the world’s most well known architect.

I know architecture programs are notoriously time consuming, how are you dealing with the workload?

It is very exhausting. I never overlook any detail and I always want to show my best. Finishing a project early means nothing because there are always minor tweaks and improvements that can be made. I spend hours in the studio, often the entire night into the next morning, finishing my projects. It is strange because studio is not about grades. We present our work and have to defend what we did or did not do. Without a strict grading system, I feel obligated to work harder because it is for my benefit. In the end, architecture is really draining, but I completely accept that.

How close is architectures relationship with art?

Architecture has much to do with art. The two are inspired by each other because artists are inspired by architecture and art inspires architects. It is a two-way street.

You love to draw; did you have any formal training?

No, I never took formal lessons. I have been drawing things since I was young and the only course I took, if it is considered a course, was AP Studio Art in high school. I was torn between taking AP physics and taking AP Studio. Like I said, I went to an engineering high school so I felt pressured to take a physics course. After much consideration and many visits to my guidance counselor, I decided AP Studio was right for me. I was dead-set in studying architecture and I needed to enhance my portfolio. A physics course would have been a waste of time. AP Studio Art did not teach me anything new, in terms of drawing and art, but it developed my portfolio which, at the time, was much more important.

Is CCNY facilitating your needs as an architecture student?

Yes, CCNY is definitely facilitating my needs. The studio life here is incredible, not only because it is in New York City, an architectural hub, but also because of the people surrounding me. All the architecture students are forced to spend most of their time together because so much time is needed to perfect projects. There are showers here in the architecture building and sleeping bags in the closets are also common. Whenever we get sick of looking at our spreadsheets, we go to the roof and just sit. We are all really busy, but I feel that is how it should be.

If you did not choose to study architecture, what would have been your intended major?

Haha, this is going to sound pretty bad, but I would have chosen to study either architectural or civil engineering. The two are fairly similar to architecture, but have one major difference. While architecture puts heavy emphasize on design, the main goal of civil and architectural engineering is sustainability. I cannot imagine straying far from what I am currently studying. It seems scary.

What do you hope to do after college?

This is a five-year program so I do not spend too much time thinking about my future after college. To become a licensed architect a certain number of hours in the field must be fulfilled. I can either complete these hours as an intern for a firm or as a graduate student.  Hopefully I get an internship, because I do not know if I want or need a post-grad education, but I will figure it out in the next five years. I have to.

Is there any question you think I should have asked you?

Honestly, I think you covered everything. You asked my view on arts relationship with architecture and details of what I am currently doing.