Glory…Glorified!

Art Interview:

Background info Info:

Glory Loflin is a senior at Cooper Union in the School of Art located in New York City.  She has no official majors or minors in mind but loves art in itself.  She is a very talented artist and I know she will make it one day.  Glory is passionate about what she does and has been in love with art for a very long time.  She was kind enough to answer all of the following questions.  Here’s what she had to say:

Q: Tell me a little about yourself: how old you are, what school you go to, family, surroundings, etc.?

A: Hi, My name Is Glory Loflin and I’m 22. I am a senior enrolled in the art program at Cooper Union, a fine arts, architecture, and engineering school located in the East Village. I grew up in Greenville, South Carolina with my mom and older brother in a suburban neighborhood. Honestly it was a pretty boring place to grow up. My family is really passionate about nature and being outdoors so we were always hiking and swimming when I was growing up. I loved being outside as a kid and I think my surroundings throughout the years have really impacted my current art — which focuses on natural beauty and landscaping. Right now I live in the East Village, which is obviously a big change from South Carolina- but I love it. I think my art is really developing here.

Q: Tell me how you got your start in the arts?

A: I don’t really remember a particular instance where I thought, “Now I’m an artist.” I know I was always coloring, drawing, and taking photographs as a kid. Like I said before, a ton of family vacations were spent near lakes and mountains and I remember trying to find the right colors and shading to capture everything I was seeing. Looking back, the paintings really were terrible! But I’m fortunate that my parents never told me that –ha-ha. As I got older, I took some local art classes and had art programs in school, so my interests were a little more structured and my creative interests had an outlet to begin to develop.

Q: Where do you find inspiration?

A: I feel like I don’t really “find” inspiration; it just kind of hits me. Sometimes I can go weeks without finding anything I’m passionate about, which is really frustrating when I face pressure at school to always sketch and paint. But lately I’ve been really fortunate. I’ve been really interested in the parks located throughout the city and have had a lot of inspiration to sketch how Washington Square Park and Tompkins Square Park affect the neighborhoods around them and how it impacts the community. I always looked at parks as a one-way service, providing a recreational outlet for its community members. But now I’m looking at all the ways the villagers impact the parks, from the anonymous flower gardens to the travelling pianos and street art. It’s been fascinating.

Q: Are there any artists or works that have influenced you strongly?

A: My mom is an artist – though not with fine art. She plays the trumpet. I’ve always just been intrigued with the creative spin she puts on all her pieces and how music can transform her and the people around her.

Q: A lot of times, there are financial worries when you go to an arts college. How did your family and friends react to your decision?

A: It was a hot topic. My mom supported me, but most of my other family members were pretty confused. They don’t think it’s stable. Though it did help that Cooper Union offers full scholarships and, as a resident assistant, I don’t have to pay for housing either. In the end, I think you just have to do what you love. You’re only cheating yourself if you don’t.

Q: What made you realize you wanted to do this?

A: Hmm. I don’t know. Maybe that I’m not good at anything else? Ha-ha

Q: What’s your dream job?

A: I’d love to keep making art and maybe manage a gallery in NY where I can display my work and the work of some other amazing artists I’ve met over the last few years. Then everyone who wants to can appreciate my art.

Q: What piece are you most proud of?

A: As part of my Cooper Union application, we had to draw a self-portrait of ourselves without drawing ourselves. So basically, I found a bunch of items that represent me and shaded them in various lights. It was really tricky deciding what items I wanted to showcase and how I wanted to arrange them, but most importantly – deciding what those pieces said about me. I ended up sequencing my childhood and the themes that let me to where I am – so I used sunglasses, a soccer ball, and a textbook which I sort of blended together.

Q: What is your most challenging aspect of being an arts student?

A: I’m always really excited to see my friends’ work but I try not to let their styles interfere with mine – I want to be influenced but not overwhelmed. It’s important for me to stay true to my own style, and while that can never be 100% original, I sometimes find myself picking up other people’s styles and I don’t like that.

Q: Are there any areas in the arts that you dislike? If so, why?

A: I don’t like the pretentiousness of it sometimes—anyone can and should appreciate art. And you shouldn’t have to be “told” what to like. Even if you stare at the Mona Lisa and nothing about it excites you, that’s cool. Don’t pretend to like it because you feel you should. Similarly, if you like the subway art outside of Union Square more- then good for you. Everyone can appreciate whatever they like.

Q: Do you have a back up plan if this doesn’t work out?

A: Nope! Hopefully I’m not 35 years old and working as a waitress and still waiting for my big break.

Q: How do you define art?

A: Art, for me, is anything that evokes an emotional response to the viewer. If the piece causes you to feel something, anything – it’s art. And it doesn’t necessarily have to be on a canvas or a sculpture. I heard one of my friends in the engineering school talk about some advanced calculus theorem they were studying and he thought it was art – the elegance and sophistication of it. I think that’s pretty awesome.

Q: What advice would you give to an up incoming artist?

A: Don’t be discouraged about the quality of your art. It will develop, in time. Just have fun with it.

Q: Are happy with where you are today? Why?

A: I’m happy because I’m at one of the most challenging art schools in the best city in the world. My classmates are amazingly supporting and just fun. Their creativity astounds me, and my art is really growing here.