Interview with a First Seat, First Flute: Catherine Hsin

Catherine Hsin is currently a student at Baruch College.  In addition to sitting first seat, first flute in her church orchestra, she also teaches aspiring flute players by spreading her passion for music and creativity.

How are you doing?  Can you tell me a little about yourself and what you do?

I’m good, how are you?  I’ve been playing flute for about 10 years.  I’ve been performing for about 5-6 years in my high school band, as well as multiple orchestras.  Currently I’m playing at the Harvest Presbyterian Church of New York City.  Sometimes we play in the church itself, but many times we go outside and play in nursing homes and banquets. 

How was your first time playing flute?

It was interesting, but frustrating.  I was about 8 years old.  I picked it up and I couldn’t get any sound out for two days.  But, I didn’t give up.  I realized that if I was able to do this, I would be able to do a lot more.  Eventually, I was able to make music, which was wonderful.  That’s probably why my first time playing orchestra was not nerve-wracking.  I just showed my audience what I knew how to do.

Who inspired you to play the flute?

My mother inspired me.  She wanted me to be well rounded, so she put me through music lessons.  It’s definitely helped me in appreciating music as a whole, not only the musical pieces I play.

What do you enjoy most about the flute?

The flute itself is an interesting instrument.  It’s built for the player to work around it, unlike a piano, where you press a key and the same sound comes out each time.  The flute is special because you have to control where you position yourself to make music.  I like the control because you can always change the sound you make. It just depends on how you blow and how you move your mouth.  It’s certainly a good way to experiment with sounds and make your own.  This is what distinguishes one flutist from another, which is not only important in the orchestra, but also in the music scene.

Let’s get into more detail about what you play.  What pieces do you usually play?

I usually play well-known classical music, some movie scores, some Disney songs.  It all depends; like if I’m at a nursing home, I will play something softer, more accustomed to their musical taste.  But if I’m at church or a fundraising banquet, we play all different types of music.

Even though you are given sheet music to play, how do you express your creativity?

I believe that every time I play the flute, I am expressing my creativity.  I’m expressing myself through my music.  Reading sheet music doesn’t make you uncreative.  Outside of sheet music, I do experiment with music on my own.  A message is better expressed with musical accompaniment.

What was the most influential experience you’ve had playing the flute?

This brings me back to high school, when I was placed first seat, second flute.  There was a girl who was first seat, first flute (first flutists’ abilities are generally higher than second flutists) who didn’t know how to play her piece.  I helped her out and that day my friend told me I should have been a first flute.  That day was important to me because people cannot determine your potential.  They can try to label it, but you know where you stand.

What is important about teaching others how to play the flute?

It is important because it all goes back to creativity.  A person may be creative, but if they don’t find what stimulates them, it is worthless.  Playing the flute may be it and I’m interested in helping people find their passion. It’s also important to show others how to appreciate music in general.  Certain instruments, of course, are not meant for everyone.  But going back to appreciation, people should open up to music instead of sticking to one genre.  Even if you only like hip-hop, you should try to listen to classical music.  It is good to take a genre and evolve it.  Open-mindedness is so important, especially in art.

And what led you to this mindset?

Music is a human thing.  Everyone likes music and it’s something to talk about.  You start listening to what they like and you appreciate it.  This leads you to appreciating them as a person.  Remember, it doesn’t matter what language you speak or where you come from, music is a part of every culture.

Have you ever played other instruments?

Yes, I’ve actually started off playing the piano.  Piano is great because it helps you build a basis for other instruments.  It teaches you how to be more coordinated and read sheet music.  I wished I stayed with the piano, not because it is more respected, but there is more of a foundation.  Playing the flute makes it difficult for you to switch to other instruments, whereas a piano integrates a wider skillset into one instrument.  But on the other hand, I’m also very interested in picking up the violin and teaching myself guitar.

Do you have any advice for an aspiring flute player?

You need a passion for the flute, but also music in general.  There’s always going to be someone who’s better than you.  Even if you can play well mechanically, you’re going to need the emotional aspect of it.  If you don’t “feel” the instrument, you won’t be able to express yourself, thus hindering your creativity.  Don’t play for an audience; don’t play for the sake of playing.  Play for feeling.