Interview with Melanie DiPalma

Born and raised in Long Island, Melanie DiPalma attended Centereach High School where she participated in many of her school productions. Now, Melanie is a freshman at Baruch College and a performer in the school play.

Ariel: I know you are currently a student at Baruch College, are you studying performing arts?

Melanie: No, I am actually studying political science. That is what I am hoping to major in with a possible minor in journalism.

Ariel: Since you’re not studying performing arts, are you participating in the arts through a club or organization?

Melanie: I’m participating through Baruch. There’s a play that Baruch is putting on called In The Blood so I’m participating in that. In The Blood is a modern adaptation of the book, The Scarlett Letter.

Ariel: What role do you play?

Melanie: I am the understudy for 2 characters. One character’s name is Meega Gringa and the other whose name is Welfare.

Ariel: Is this production playing now?

Melanie: Right now, we’re in rehearsals. The show is supposed to open in November, right before Thanksgiving.

Ariel: I don’t really know much about the performing arts here at Baruch.

Melanie: I don’t either. I, honesty, just saw a poster for auditions and I just decided to audition. If I hadn’t seen that poster, I probably wouldn’t have known.

Ariel: How was the audition process?

Melanie: Well, the audition poster said to come to a certain room to pick up your audition material. Unlike normal auditions where you pick your own monologue, they gave you scenes to prepare for the audition. I actually found that was better because it’s less stressful.

Ariel: Were there a lot of people who auditioned?

Melanie: I’m not sure but there are less than twelve people in the cast.

Ariel: Really? Twelve is quiet small. It must be an intimate production.

Melanie: Well, the cast is actually smaller. There are six characters and some cast members double up on roles so it’s definitely intimate. One thing that I like about plays instead of musicals is that the cast tends to be smaller. Musicals usually have really large casts but plays are a lot more intimate so I feel that you get to know people better.

Ariel: So you would say that you’re very good friends with the cast and crew?

Melanie: Yes, we’re starting to get closer. Being at rehearsals every day, you become comfortable around them.

Ariel: Where and when does the cast rehearse?

Melanie: We actually rehearse in the theatre in 23rd building. It’s not an actual theater. It’s a small, all-black room with elevated seating. We also rehearse everyday except for Mondays; however, it mostly depends on the scenes. If you’re not in the scene being rehearsed, you don’t necessarily need to show up. Since there is only a month until the play, rehearsals have become more frequent and intense.

Ariel: Why should people come watch the play?

Melanie: I think the play has a really strong message. It’s not what people think of when you think of a stereotypical play. There are some parts that are funny and some parts that are sad so there’s a good mix. In addition, the small theater creates an intimate setting. The audience can truly connect with the characters. The show is also a good comment on society and makes you think.

Ariel: Since you are from Long Island, which isn’t very far away, are your parents planning to come out and watch your performance? Are they very supportive?

Melanie: They are very supportive but since the play is very different and there some parts that I am slightly uncomfortable with my parents seeing, I’m not sure if they’ll come watch. But overall, they have always been really supportive.

Ariel: Well, I know the story of The Scarlett Letter but what parts are uncomfortable?

Melanie: Since it’s a modern interpretation, there are many differences from the book. Hester is homeless and living under a bridge with five illegitimate children. She ends up having to do certain things for money sometimes. It’s an interesting show.

Ariel: That’s definitely different than book. Well, before college you seemed to participate a lot in the performing arts. What else did you do in middle school and high school?

Melanie: In middle school, I was part of musicals in 7th and 8th grade. And then, in high school, I was in all four musicals and the three plays my school did. I was also president of the Thespian Honor Society.

Ariel: Is that like drama club? I know my high school had a drama club but I don’t think we had a Thespian Society.

Melanie: Yea, it’s like drama club but also an honor society. It depended on how many hours you put into the productions. In order to be in the society, you had to complete a certain number of hours.

Ariel: That’s nice. So what is your favorite part about the performing arts and participating in drama club?

Melanie: That’s a pretty good question. Mostly, I find the people interesting. Theater people are just kind of weird and outgoing. But I’ve actually been exposed to it at a young age. My mother was always played musical soundtracks when I was really young so it just feels like a part of my life.

Ariel: Are your parents fans of the arts?

Melanie: My dad enjoys watching shows and Broadway but my mom’s side of the family is very into the arts. When my mom was in high school, she also participated in the school musical and plays. And when she was younger, my nana was an actress so the arts have always been part of the family.

Ariel: Wow. That’s amazing that your grandmother was an actress. What works did she do?

Melanie: In 1930s or 1940s, she did some modeling and then, she was in a short local television show. She also was in the chorus of a touring musical called the Pajama Game. She eventually stopped when she met grandpa because she wanted to get married and raise children.

Ariel: Did she influence you in any way?

Melanie: A bit. When I go to my nana’s house, we would always watch musicals or classic movies. My entire mom’s side of the family has always been really involved in the arts whether performing or watching. I basically grew up in the performing arts environment.

Ariel: Is there a large amount of performing arts in Long Island?

Melanie: Yes, there are many community theaters in the area so I’ve done a lot of that.

Ariel: Is that how you got started? What was your first production?

Melanie: My first big show was Annie in the 7th grade. I met my best friend through that production. I met a lot of friends through performing arts. It’s one of the main reasons I got involved because all my friends were participating.

Ariel: Although you seem very passionate about the arts, why don’t you want to pursue it as a career? What made you want to study political science instead of performing arts?

Melanie: The performing arts field is very competitive and I feel that I wouldn’t have fun if I pursued it as a career. In the summer, I worked on campaigns and I found a passion for political science.

Ariel: Even though you are not planning to pursue a career in the performing arts, is it something you want to continue in the future?

Melanie: It’s kind of just a hobby. Performing arts is something I’ve done since middle school. I wasn’t even planning on pursing it in college. It was just something I did in high school and when I got here, I realized how much I missed it. However, my priorities are schoolwork and college so if plays begin to interfere with school, I am willing to quit. I would rather work an internship for political science then perform in a show.