Interviews!

Sharon Yoon, 12th grade, and Mary Kim, 11th grade, are two high school friends that attend selective precollege programs at renowned music institutions. Sharon currently goes to the Manhattan School of Music and plays both violin and viola. She started attending the program at the age of 14. Mary goes to The Julliard School and has played piano, violin, and viola. Mary started attending the program at the age of 13. Both programs offer opportunities to young students to encounter pre-professional musical experiences.

SHARON

Hanna: How did you find out about the program at the Manhattan School of Music (MSM)?

Sharon: I found out about the Precollege Program through a friend. She recommended that I try to expand my horizons in the musical world. I took up the challenge and started to lookup the requirements for the entrance audition and a professor who I could potentially study with after acceptance into the program.

H: How often do you go to the MSM for this program?

S: I go every Saturday except for the holidays. The general ensemble playing hours are from 9AM to 4PM. The higher-level string instruments have orchestra rehearsal until 5:45 PM. It also provides Music Theory and Ear Training classes.

H: Is there anything interesting or important to point out about this program?

S: The point that I want to share is the great opportunities the program offers especially to higher-level string students because a chance is given to the students of performing pre-professionally in massive symphony orchestras. I have performed in the Philharmonic Orchestra for two years so far, and I love every moment of it. Music critics attend these concerts, listen to us, and critique us. Although they are harsh, they always have something good to say about our orchestra. One critic complimented that considering the orchestra consisted of only 16 to18 year olds, the skill level of the playing and the cohesiveness was not even comparable to professional adult orchestras all over the country. This program gives the students exposure to critique and the ways of the music world when they leave the student bubble after graduation.

H: Have any of the students in this program continued their musical career?

S: A friend of mine now pursues her musical career in Julliard and absolutely cherishes her memories at MSM. The great Maestro Jonathan Strasser was a violin student at the MSM precollege and is now a world-class conductor who loves to teach the violin. There are many more including the world renown Patricia Kopec who assistant teaches Pinchas Zukerman at the MSM today.

H: Are there any accomplishments you have made so far in this program that you would like to share?

S: I have performed with the Philharmonic Orchestra along side with Maestro Strasser and was a semi-finalist in the Concerto Competition in 2011. I was also offered a bigger opportunity outside of MSM. I deferred the offer, but will take it into reconsideration after I graduate high school.

H: Do you plan on continuing your musical career after MSM?

S: I plan on continuing my musical career. I don’t necessarily want to go into music and become a performer, but I want to incorporate music into my career in international affairs. I consider music to be a language in itself, so I believe that music will help me bring different nations and people together.

H: Is there anything else that I didn’t ask you that I should’ve, and is there anything else you would like to say?

S: MSM is an eye opener to the musical world and truly challenges students in a positive manner.

MARY

Hanna: How did you hear about the program offered at Julliard?

Mary: My first violin teacher in 3rd or 4th grade. She asked me if I was interested and thought I could handle the audition.

H: Any of your friends who were in the program, have they continued their musical career?

M: A lot of them. Some of them end up going to Julliard and some end up going to other conservatories, such as the MSM.

H: Do you plan on continuing your musical career after high school?

M: I do not ever want to stop playing. I am looking into conservatories, but my parents want me to apply to academic schools. Even if I go to an academic school, I’ll incorporate music somehow.

H: Is there anything special about the Julliard program?

M: Any preprogram has a lot to offer. As much as I do not like o say that one is better than the other, Julliard is well known because it is wide spread and it introduces you to different types of music. The administration lets people know of the opportunities to play in pre-professional orchestras.

H: Do you play only one genre of music?

M: For violin, the emphasis is on classical music. The emphasis is to develop your playing and who you are as a musician and later expand on it.

H: How often do you go to Julliard?

M: It’s every Saturday; however, for certain teachers they don’t teach Saturdays. The lesson is one-on-one for one hour. Teachers also have studio classes where students play for each other and give criticize and feedback.

H: Are there any accomplishments you have made at Julliard?

M: Personally, no. I like to stay low-key, but it was definitely helped me improve as a player in general.

H: Is there anything that I didn’t ask you that you want to say about Julliard or comment on?

M: I see music as a network. Although the program takes a lot of dedication, I have come to embrace music as a big part of my life. Julliard has helped me to develop my skill and also my emotional and mental state. Every week, Saturday is th