An Interview with Guixuan Zhuang of Dance China NY

Four years ago, Guixuan Zhuang arrived in New York, hoping to gain more opportunities to foster his passion for dance. Mr. Zhuang graduated from the prestigious Beijing Dance Academy in 2009, and immigrated from China to the United States shortly after. Specializing in Chinese folk dance, he received his first job in Manhattan as a member of the New York Chinese Cultural Center’s resident arts company, Dance China NY. Since his arrival, Mr. Zhuang has performed in hundreds of venues throughout the tri-state area. He is now a full-time professional dancer and a part-time dance instructor at several institutions located in Flushing, Manhattan, and Long Island.

In the office of the New York Chinese Cultural Center, where he spends his Saturdays teaching dedicated students, Mr. Zhuang discussed his experiences in New York and how he has promoted his art in the diverse city. The following is an abridged and revised version of that conversation.

Why did you start dancing?

When I was little, my parents gave me a lot of choices. I took singing lessons, Er Hu (a Chinese two-stringed musical instrument held in the lap and played with a bow) classes, painting classes, and dance classes. I was twelve when I told my mom that I wanted to dance. I was a little boy and I told her that dancing was good for me because I could jump very high. I also wanted to learn techniques so I could show off. I went to a professional school and then I went to a college for dance.

What do you like about being in New York? What opportunities have you gained from the city?

The U.S. is good for artists. You can find more possibilities. Now I have teaching jobs; I teach at the New York Chinese Cultural Center, and I do workshops at schools in Long Island, and Flushing. Mostly, I do performances with my company and go to different studios to teach. Some groups rent studios and invite me to teach them.

How are you extending your knowledge of Chinese dance and culture to New Yorkers?

I’m taking what I’ve learned and passing it on to my students. I share my knowledge by teaching and by performing.

Where do you get your inspiration from when you’re choreographing for Dance China NY or the classes you teach?

When I choreograph, I watch a lot of videos online. It gives me ideas for movements, and it gives me ideas for what kind of music to choose. Sometimes, I think of movements before I find music for the dance. But other times, I choreograph routines that follow the song. I also use everything I learned when I was at the Beijing Dance Academy. I always change my choreography when I listen to the music because the movements don’t fit, or I think of something better. Most of the things I teach in class are improvised when my students and I dance to the song.

Since your arrival in the United States, have you tried expanding your expertise to other styles of dance?

I’ve learned ballroom dance, jazz, and some modern dance. When I got a job at a dance school in Flushing, I took ballet classes there. Since I had to wait between my two classes, the principal of the school, who is very skilled at ballroom dance, let me follow along while he taught his class. I learned the cha cha, the rumba, and the jive.

Why is your art important to you?

Your culture is part of your pride, and dance is how I become involved in my country and New York City. Also, when you like something, like dance, you want to learn more about it. I wanted to be a dancer, so I studied it, and now it’s my job. Being able to do your favorite activity to earn money is great.

What makes your art special?

You know, Western dances use a different manner to express your feelings and your heart. For Asian culture, when you learn some art, you have to know a lot of things, like religion, song, history, and calligraphy. They all connect, so you can also learn a lot from a dance. For example, if you learn a Tibetan dance at a high level, you have to know religion, and history, and that people from different places have different styles. The dances of people in different provinces of China are very different from Western dance. Chinese people dance for everything – they dance for animals, people, farms, and for mountains and rivers. But recently, some dances have been performed to celebrate the government. It’s like a different language for the body.

How is performing in New York different from performing in China?

I feel like in New York, people enjoy the dances more because they don’t see Chinese dance a lot. The audience always claps for me because they think the props are beautiful, and they are impressed by the jumps and flips. They think Chinese dance is very special, and I am happy because they appreciate my art.

What was your favorite performing experience in New York?

Sometimes, I dance with my friend at improv shows. It makes me think and decide when and where to enter the stage. We perform in a room where the audience just comes in, and you can dance very close to the audience. We can try different material because in New York, we have different cultures. It’s very exciting and interesting for me – a very good memory.