Interview with Stephanie Sun

For Stephanie Sun, playing music is an integral part of who she is. At first it was new and unfamiliar, almost as if it was a chore, but music grew on her and now it’s a fundamental aspect of her life. Playing music invokes a variety of emotions and really brings out her personality.

Q.

Andrew Chen: How were you first introduced to music?

A.

Stephanie Sun: I started playing music at an early age – piano at 4 years old and violin at 7 years old. My mom was the one who first introduced me to music as she is a pianist.  She attended Julliard, both the pre-college and college program, and graduated with her Masters. Since I was 4, she has taught me piano as well as given me performing opportunities. The first time I performed was in her yearly student piano recitals at 4 years old. I played a duet with one of her older students. She is the reason why I am so involved in music and why I love it so much. I’ve grown to love music so much as it was always around me. Music has always been a part of my life and really is an essential part of who I am.

Q.

Did you enjoy learning how to play the piano and violin while growing up?

A.

When I first started learning, since I was so young, I didn’t really dislike it or like it, I think.  It was just something I did because my mom told me to. When I was about 11 or 12 though I had a phase where I didn’t really want to do it anymore because it was just so frustrating. Since my mom was my teacher, I continued anyways. Even though at that moment I had wanted to quit, I’m so glad I didn’t. When I reached high school, I matured a little and began enjoying it.  Practicing wasn’t the most fun thing to do and my mom still had to tell me to practice, but I no longer wanted to quit.

Today, I actually really enjoy learning. It’s become something people recognize me for, as well as a skill that I really value. I’m actually kind of sad to be going to college because I don’t want to stop learning completely.

Q.

How does playing the piano and violin make you feel?

A.

I think it depends on the piece and the situation.  For example, when I feel upset or angry, playing the piano or violin serves as a kind of escape. It gives me something to focus and work on. While practicing may be frustrating at times, when I finally get the difficult passage or run, it’s really satisfying and I get a feeling of accomplishment. I try to interpret and convey the feeling of the music from the pages to actual sound. I feel the emotion I am trying to convey. Laughs. It’s kind of difficult to pinpoint because when I play, I’m concentrated on the moment itself and how to improve so I’m not really aware of my exact feelings. It kind of just happens.

Q.

So you’re saying you and your feelings just flow with the music. How do you feel when playing at major events that you have attended?

A.

While I’ve experienced many different kinds of events, there were definitely ones that stood out to me. One of those is playing at the September 11th memorial on Staten Island every year on 9/11. As part of the Mighty String Demons, I’ve played there for several years now and I still tear up every year when they read the names. While it may not be a happy occasion, it’s such a great thing to be able to honor those who were affected, through music.

Another event I played at was my 8th grade graduation. I was the only one to perform other than the singer of the national anthem and I performed the Flight of the Bumblebee on piano. While people may not have recognized me before then, almost everyone recognized me in my school after that, which was pretty amazing.

Also, I was selected to be a part of the NYSSMA All-State Conference Symphony Orchestra in December 2013 as well as the NAFME All-Eastern Conference Orchestra in April 2013 which each lasted 4 days. They’re amazing experiences where I got to meet so many new people from different places and just enjoy playing music together. Working with these well-known conductors and other talented people really inspired me to work harder. To rehearse the music in such a short amount of time and then perform is an experience in itself, as it gets pretty intense. But it was so much fun.

Q.

What awards and recognition have you received and how do you think they portray who you are?

A.

I’ve been entering competitions since I was probably around 10 years old. The first time I really won a competition was when I was on piano when I was about 12 at the Wagner College Young Musicians Competition. I was the Grand Prize Winner, which gave me the opportunity to have my first solo recital. I usually get nervous when performing or competing but this performance really tested my capabilities. To play for about an hour by yourself was and is a pretty daunting task. However, from that competition, I experienced the feeling of winning for the first time and it was amazing. The satisfaction after knowing you did your best and that your hard work paid off is just the best.

I would say the next big competition I won was when I was 14. In 2010 I won the Junior Discovery Competition at COS which gave me the opportunity to perform as a soloist with orchestra. I played the Grieg Piano Concerto 1st Movement. Again, this performance was one I will never forget. The responsibility was so great as now it was not just myself I would embarrass if I messed up. The whole orchestra relied on me. However, after finishing, the feeling was indescribable as I was just in awe and happiness. That feeling is why people work so hard in practicing, for that moment.

Other than those, I’ve performed at Carnegie Hall numerous times as a winner of various competitions as well as other performing opportunities. I think that through these performances and competitions, people see me as capable. Music is something people have become to know me for when they see me. While I get nervous for performances and such, they also give me a sense of confidence as it is a skill that I have gained through hard work and I think it is something that makes me unique.

Q.

Are there any programs you have attended for music? If so, how have they shaped your perspective on music and how have they influenced you as a person?

A.

I’ve been a part of the Children’s Orchestra Society for 6 years now with rehearsals every Saturday and I’ve really learned so much. Before being a member, I had mostly played solo or duets. But playing in orchestra is so different from playing solo.  It taught me to listen, not just to myself but others as well. Listening is just as important as playing because without listening, you can’t hear your mistakes or what to improve on. The most important aspect of playing in orchestra is to be aware of what others are doing. It is not just about one person, but rather the group as a whole and it really improves the ability to work with others as well as social skills. It was also nice to meet other people with the same interests as me and be able to talk about music.

I have also attended the Manhattan School of Music Summer Camp for 2 years, once in 2010 and another in 2012. Taking music theory classes amongst other music related classes helped me learn more about how it works, such as the structure. I saw that there was so much more to learn about music.

Music serves as an outlet of expressing feelings and also a form of communication. I have made so many friends through music that I would not have been able to otherwise, and it really defines who I am.