Sound Sculpture Alexandra and Joanne

Our sound transformation is done to represent the events that come along with falling in love. It starts off with a kind of monotonous piece of music to represent the monotone lives that people live before meeting their significant life. Then, as you can hear, there is a major transformation. It is supposed to represent a young adult seeing someone for the first time and finding that this someone could actually be the one. Along with love comes a lot of confusion as well as a lot of different emotions surfacing that were not there before. We tried to represent this by compiling some very different types of musics, and by jumping abruptly from one to another. This is symbolic of the way one’s heart races when he/she is with someone that he/she really likes or may even love. It is also representative of one’s thoughts during that time. The songs with lyrics show the different types of thoughts that people have when there is an attraction. Their thoughts become jumbled, and they make no sense but they’re all along the same lines.

We hope you enjoy the rather chaotic event that is falling in love.
-Joanne Ramadani and Alexandra Szilagyi.

Works Cited

Apocalyptica. “Nothing Else Matters.” Toppinen, Eicca. Inquisition Symphony. Mercury Records/Universal Music Group, 1998. MP3.

Brand New. “Be Gone.” Accardi, Vinnie. Daisy. Interscope Records, 2009. MP3.

Coldplay. “Paradise.” Mylo Xyloto. Parlophone, 2011. MP3.

Death Cab for Cutie. “Soul Meets Body.” Gibbard, Ben. Plans. Atlantic Records, 2005. MP3.

Hellogoodbye. “Here (In Your Arms).” Kline, Forrest. Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!. Drive-Thru Records, 2006. MP3.

Jack’s Mannequin. “Dark Blue.” McMahon, Andrew. Everything in Transit. Maverick Records, 2005. MP3.

Marianas Trench. “Sing Sing.” Ramsay, Josh. Masterpiece Theatre. 604 Records, 2009. MP3.

Sound Sculpture Alexandra and Joanne — 10 Comments

1. I like the song in the beginning because it sounds rather dull and really can show how boring one’s life is before falling in love. I also like how you picked specific parts of the songs in which the lyrics could reveal the thoughts of the person.

2. I love the transformation. The music captures the mixed emotions of one who first falls in love really well. The young adult just cannot stay on the same thought for too long and continues changing thoughts as you described through the music. The thoughts make no sense but still keep the falling in love scene together. Very nice job.

3. I couldn’t help but listen to this transformation. I love the use of the song “paradise” really clever. I liked that you guys used a lot of songs, it made me feel like I was actually being transformed. I really liked the ups and downs that were portrayed, big fan!

4. Your music really brought the point forward! The dramatic change from a quiet song to an upbeat one really showed the change of emotions. I especially enjoyed hearing the part that is supposed to be the “mixed feelings”! The compilation worked out really well! I like how you guys manipulated “Paradise” and used it throughout the song!

5. If you compare the beginning and the end of the audio, the difference is huge!! I like the way you demonstrate the feeling of confusion in your audio. The arrangement or the order of songs could be better.

6. I love the songs you used! (especially Paradise and Dark Blue, Paradise was a great fit). The beginning effects were really cool, and I like how you didn’t just use the songs as they were but took the time to add those effects. It ended on a nice note too, it reminded me of a movie where at the end they drive off happy into a sunset or something. Good job!:)

7. I listened to your sound transformation without reading your topic to see if my mental image will match your prompt. It didn’t. I realized that it is hard to interpret a work exactly how the artist intended it to be. Only after reading your prompt and explanation did I connect the transformation in the audio to the falling in love process.

8. I really like how well your transitions flowed together. There was no awkward moment between any of your pieces. I think the lyrics of the songs really added to the transition as well. I guess people think love “could be paradise” and the second song really shows how people might long for it. Good job!