Mood Diary Noseferatu

Initially when I saw that it was a silent film, I thought that it would be boring. However, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Noseferatu, simply because the expressions that the actors used were so exaggerated that they got the point across. I found myself laughing several times at the faces that they made.

One aspect of Noseferatu that automatically stuck out to me was the scene where Knock receives the letter from Count Orlock. The inscriptions looked really familiar. We all know that the story of Dracula originally stems from Transylvania which is part of the Old Hungary. Well, the inscriptions on the letter had some basis to them. The old Hungarian alphabet looks very similar to how the letter was written; it is something that I know how to read and write. I even paused the video and tried to distinguish a couple of the letters, and found that while not all of them, some of them were the exact same letters. This form of writing is called rovásírás. 

rovasiras_nagy

So I really enjoyed that aspect of the movie. I also loved the music. While the Symphony itself seemed to be on a loop, it seemed like the perfect fit for the movie and the story that was being conveyed.

The people in the restaurant/ pub also looked like old Hungarians did back in the day. Hungarians dressed in very similar outfits at the time.

regi ruhaAn old Hungarian couple.

As for Nosferatu himself, I really enjoyed his appearance. For the movie being made in such an early part of movie history, I think that the makeup and effects were great. The last scene, where Nosferatu is killed by the sun- he fades away slowly. I don’t know how they managed to do that, but I was pleasantly surprised by the way they managed to include several effects.

Also, back to Hungarians- They love love LOVE violins. In fact all of the folksongs are accompanied by violins. So the symphony was wonderful to listen to.

Overall, I was happy with the film, seeing as I made so many connections to my own culture and traditions.

Mood Diary Noseferatu — 2 Comments

1. I really focused on the actor’s wild gestures as well. I didn’t think they’d be so expressive since I’ve never seen a silent film before but they were truly interesting to watch! The music was also really well done, as I believe it should be to accompany the gestures because it’s another form of communication.
    I wasn’t able to see many connections to my culture but it’s fascinating that you were able to connect it to your background. I love it when I can connect to a movie – it makes it feel more personalized.

2. I felt the same way in the beginning. I thought it was going to be an absolute snooze-fest, but I actually ended up enjoying the film, even though it was quite creepy.