Mood Diary of Nosferatu

Before watching the movie, I decided to do some research on what I was going to watch, and I was in utmost horror when I found out that it was going to be a silent film. What kind of insanity is that?! How was I going to stay awake? The only thing that still left me with some bit of hope was the fact that it was an adaption of Dracula! Mwhaha… (I love scary movies).

My face before even watching the film

My face before even watching the film

After finishing the movie, I was pleasantly surprised to learn how powerful silent movies are. Without sound, I had to dedicate myself to the film and actually watch every gesture and movement made, as well as listen to every sound played, and then analyze why that sound was used. Kudos to the actors for being able to convey such powerful emotions without words. (Granted, they had textual slides- but they deserve it!)

I also was very taken away by the music. It was haunting, yet playful. It was eerie , yet gravitated me to the story line even more. I enjoyed every second of that creepy movie soundtrack.

Link to the Nosferatu Soundtrack (listen, if you dare…)

Definitely a sign that should’ve been posted outside of the castle for Hutter to see!

Although the “AHH….that was scary!” factor was not even close to what I’ve experienced, I think it was definitely a scary film for its time. One has to realize what equipment the director had to work with in the 1920s. Without a doubt, Count Orlock scared the crap out of me at 1:00 am on a Sunday. I would credit it as one of the greatest scary movies made.

If this image doesn’t scare you, I’m deeply concerned for you.

Mood Diary of Nosferatu — 1 Comment

1. Hooray for watching scary movies at 1 a.m. in the morning!!
    I absolutely agree with you that Count Orlok is a very scary fellow and that the film in general is a masterpiece considering that during its time, it was able to instill a sense of fear into its audience without the use of modern day technology and special effects. Nosferatu embraces a sort of simplicity that’s very effective in creating suspense. All it needed was the creepy expression and demeanor of Orlok, which were further intensified by the eerie silence and haunting soundtrack.

For a silent film, Nosferatu does a tremendous job of keeping you awake…for many hours to come in fact.