Mood Diary #3: Nosferatu

I wasn’t particularly scared by Nosferatu. The video’s description said something about horror film fanatics calling it the scariest horror film ever, but I didn’t get frightened, and I’m usually the one who opts to stay under the covers during scary movie night. Maybe it was something about the age of the film, but I think maybe it was the overdramatic aspects that took away from the solemnity.

That being said, it kind of reminded me of the theme to Jaws. Everyone pretty much makes a mockery of the theme these days, and it’s become less frightening than it was originally perceived, but it’s still a classic.

Funny enough, there was this clip floating around the Internet from Spongebob Squarepants, of all things, basically making a mockery of Nosferatu.

So basically, I was chuckling a lot of the time while watching this movie. I’d actually seen that clip before seeing the movie, and it probably tarnished my viewing experience in some way. Admittedly, I did cover my eyes at a few parts—namely, the part where we first see the Count. He actually startled me.

I found the writing on the letter from the Count very interesting, however; the writing looked like a bunch of glyphs, and I was reminded of the glyphs that indicate commercial breaks on Fringe. They form a secret language with strange symbols—and by that, I mean objects that look normal at first glance, but on closer inspection, have something significantly wrong with them.

The end of the movie wasn’t surprising. Of course someone would have to sacrifice their life for the sake of everyone else. The classic martyr move, but done in a film that was supposed to be terrifying. Before this, I didn’t know why Ellen or whoever was offering herself to the Count (in other versions, she’s different) was doing so, but now that I’ve seen the movie, I realize that it had more to do with purity of the heart, which was admittedly cool.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the players recreate the movie at BAM in a few nights!