Nosferatu Mood Diary

Before watching Nosferatu, when I heard the word vampire I would think of two images. One image was of a scary, undead, repulsive monster with sharp fangs that wanted to suck my blood and the second image was a sparkling, pale-looking human with special powers and sharp teeth. However, after watching Nosferatu I added another image to my vampire list. If I were to describe Count Orlok, it would have to be a strange-looking lonely evil blood-drinking creature. Count Orlok appearance and exaggerated acting made him more of a comical character then a scary monster.

When I began watching Nosferatu, I was a bit shocked that it was a silent black and white film. I had the notion that a movie about vampires would need to have color and sound to make it more dramatic; for example the use dark red blood running down a victim’s neck, or maybe someone shrieking and screaming for help. At first it was a little strange watching a film without color, or without actors and actresses talking (because it felt unfamiliar), but as the film went on I realized these characteristics added to the vibe and feel of the movie.

I must admit I was a little disappointed when I was watching Nosferatu because I was expecting it to be extremely scary. Maybe it was the image of Count Orlok or the fact that the actors and actresses would over exaggerate their actions, but I found Nosferatu almost comical. I was also disappointed because I read Dracula by Bram Stoker last year. Nosferatu is an adapted version of Dracula and shared almost the same plot and characters. So as I watched the film, I already knew what was going to happen. It felt like someone had spoiled the film for me before I even watched it. Although knowing the plot of Nosferatu beforehand took some fun out of watching the film, I thought it added to the experience of watching Nosferatu. While I was watching, I would compare the similarities and differences between the book and the film. One obvious difference was in the ending of the book and film. I believe the ending for Nosferatu was much happier and cliché. Ellen is able to “defeat” Count Orlok and the plague by spending a night with him. However in Dracula many people die as a result of Dracula, and ultimately Dracula dies from being stabbed through his throat and heart by Harker and his companions. The ending of Dracula was much more intense and tragic because it involves a fighting scene and the death of good, undeserving people.

I enjoyed watching Nosferatu. But if I were to choose between reading Dracula or watching Nosferatu, I would choose Dracula. Nosferatu is probably more entertaining, but I believe Dracula is more authentic and scary. The way that it is told through letters and diary entries is extremely interesting. Overall, Dracula was more realistic and believable then Nosferatu, even though they shared similar characters and plot.

Nosferatu Mood Diary — 3 Comments

1. It’s very interesting that you compare the reading and the film version of Nosferatu. I haven’t read the book yet, but most of the time books give us more details as we read them. A film does not always show the details and we will not always notice the details even if there is one, so I believe if I read the book, I will have more sense of the story and get the horror mood. However, I still like the film because I like visual art. Reading a story sometimes could be hard when we are trying hard to figure out what really happens. Watching a film could be more entertaining.

2. I agree with the fact that even though it was a black and white as well as silent movie, I thought that the characters really portrayed what was happening well. Paying attention made it really easy to follow along with the story line because their exaggerated movements communicated clearly what they were thinking.

3. I haven’t read Dracula but I have obviously heard of it. Everyone keeps talking about the similarities between Nosferatu and Dracula, and I guess thats why F. W. Murnau was sued for copyright infringement. Its interesting that you felt the lack of sound added to the production, I just found it frustrating!