Mood Diary: Nosferatu

Dread. When I was initially told to watch Nosferatu, I could only think of possible dreadful scenes and implications in the movie.

My anticipation, however, was nothing short of unwarranted and purposeless. Although scary for its own time period, the movie is no match for the wide range of actual scary movies we have available today.

Even before I started watching Nosferatu, I had decided that I wouldn’t like it at all for not only was it black and white, but also silent. Watching the movie, therefore, seemed more of a laborious task than an entertaining alternative. When I finally sat to watch the movie, I was disappointed and angered by the loud acting. I understand that silent films put an additional burden on the actors of telling a story through gestures, but does that mean they have to come out of their characters and exaggerate their emotions to make a point? (If it does, then acting probably had a different meaning in 1922.)

While watching the movie, I continuously wondered what reactions and emotions did the movie evoke in the audience of the 1920s. I assumed they experienced the same trepidation that the modern audience members do when they watch movies like Night of the Living Dead and Jaws.

Regardless, as I watched the movie, I became more curious as to what Count Dracula would look like and how the movie would be structured in general. However, the discrepancies took away from the building curiosity. First off, why did Jonathon agree to go to Transylvania when Renfield advised him not to listen to people who speak of phantoms in the town? I was surprised that Jonathon did not pick up on that clear clue; it goes to show how ignorant and foolish he is. When I saw that scene, I equated it with a scene in which a guilty child denies breaking the living room lamp even before his parents notice that the lamp is missing. You automatically know that the child is confessing his wrongful act by the very fact that he feels the need to deny it before anyone raises a question around the subject. In effect, the parents and the audience know the child is guilty. Jonathon is quite the contrary; he runs in the direction that he is blatantly warned against. Why?

"Pictures Of..." A Colorful Cartoon of a Businessman Running In the Wrong Direction. Acclaim Imagery, Ltd., n.d. Web. 29 Oct. 2013. .

“Pictures Of…” A Colorful Cartoon of a Businessman Running In the Wrong Direction. Acclaim Imagery, Ltd., n.d. Web. 29 Oct. 2013. <http://www.picturesof.net/pages/100615-005163-268053.html>.

Another discrepancy was that the movie never referenced how Reinfield knew Count Dracula, let alone how he conspired with him. Besides, how did Reinfield benefit from helping Count Dracula? The mystery behind these questions actually decreased my interest in the film, much like the repetitive background score. The music lacked timbre and qualities that spark various responses within viewers. Had the music director used instruments other than the low-pitched bassoon, the movie would have been more engaging. Unfortunately, instead of evoking different emotions, the music made the movie tedious and monotonous.

Having said that, I think that despite the setbacks, the movie did a decent job in entertaining its viewers. Honestly, I did not expect the movie to have any of the action techniques and illusions that we are accustomed to. Thus, when the door opened by itself and Count Dracula stood up from his coffin in a humanly impossible way and in the end, vanished in smoke, I started to appreciate the filmmakers and actors’ attempts. I also examined the different characters and found credibility in Jonathon Harker’s and Nina’s portrayal.  Moreover, I finally understood how the stereotypical image of a monster came about. The thick eyebrows, sunken eyes, missing teeth, and long nails were characteristics that filmmakers came up with decades ago. After watching the portrayal of a vampire in Nosferatu, I could not help but juxtapose it with that in Twilight Saga.  Although the physical appearance of vampires has greatly evolved, it seems that ideas like vampires cannot withstand sunlight have survived the test of time.

"Wallpapers Tagged With TWILIGHT - Page 1." HD Wallpapers. HD Wallpapers, n.d. Web. 29 Oct. 2013. .

“Wallpapers Tagged With TWILIGHT – Page 1.” HD Wallpapers. HD Wallpapers, n.d. Web. 29 Oct. 2013. <http://www.hdwallpapers.in/tag/twilight.html>.

Lastly, just like the stories we have read so far this semester, the movie Nosferatu had a bittersweet ending. Nina, much like Gregor in Metamorphosis, sacrifices herself for the well-being of others. With that in mind, when the screen flashes, “…that moment, as if by a miracle, the sick no longer died, and the stifling shadow of the vampire vanished with the morning sun,” viewers experience conflicting emotions of melancholy and contentment.

Works Cited:

Mood Diary: Nosferatu — 2 Comments

1. I think acting did have a different meaning in 1922 from what it means today. Now “bad” acting means the actor’s portrayal of emotions is glaringly false and unbelievable. People hear of actors “staying in character” and “method” acting. Those terms surround the idea of being as realistic to the human condition as possible. Conversely, I imagine in 1922, that wasn’t the idea, especially in silent films (acting in theater being a different medium). The characters, as we discussed, were meant to represent an overarching emotion than a specific character with an intricate background.
    As for if Jonathon is ignorant and foolish. I think he’s meant to be the perfect provider for his wife. Therefore, the success of a real estate sell (and maybe a commission) is what drives his motivations. The one feature that stood out to me in Jonathon’s acting was his smile. He mocked others for believing in the land of the phantoms and seemed to inwardly belittle those who tried to warn him.
    I agree that there are holes to the story. But, in general, I thought the plot was very creative. Especially when the plague turns out to be Nosferatu. A lot of people seem to have drawn that disconnection between Twilight and Nosferatu. I think the differences can be explained by looking at the audience the films were targeting. Murnau didn’t completely disregard appearance from his film. Gustav von Wangenheim, who plays Jonathon, is not unattractive. He simply doesn’t appeal to today’s dominant culture of what is.

2. I agree with you that Nosferatu did not grip me as a modern movie might have. I instead chose to approach the film with an investigative attitude about the sorts of filmmaking techniques used. I have to disagree with your position on the mystery of Renfield and the Count’s connection – I think having mystery in a film allows for the viewer to use their imagination to fill in the holes, but even so, their connection is irrelevant; I accepted that Renfield was the Count’s servant when I was presented with the material in the film.

I think that the music would have been scary back then, however, it didn’t evoke any strong response from me. But because I viewed the film from an investigative perspective, I can see how the music would have affected the audience back then. Not only that, but I think that the music in films has evolved, and we have become desensitized to some of the softer or older music, just as we have become desensitized to the visuals in Nosferatu when compared to modern horror films like Saw. In response to how you viewed the music, perhaps many other films back then had repetitive music playing throughout as well? I agree that I would have enjoyed the movie more with better music, but that is because I live in the modern era with modern music and modern visuals and modern effects. I agree that the door opening on its own must have been a cool special effect for back then. The point is, there has been an evolution in filmmaking, and it was interesting to take a peek into the now-ancient beginnings of this evolution.