Mood Diary: Nosferatu

As soon as I opened up Nosferatu, I cringed. The year 1992 jumped out at me and the sudden black-and-white coloration was a sharp contrast from what I was used to seeing. The graininess of the film due to the lack of an advanced camera bothered me throughout the whole movie. The constant flashing of light is very distracting from the main action from the movie. The addition of no voice audio for the actors also steered my attention away from enjoying Nosferatu. Not only was it uncomfortable to sit and listen to with just the classical music, but it also reminded me of Charlie Chaplin movies. Though I didn’t like how it was just music playing, I commend the use of music to establish and enhance the atmosphere of the movie.

“V-Magazine.” V-Magazine. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Oct. 2013.

My first impression of Nosferatu, even before watching it, consisted of a Dracula-like character for the vampire. Instead, when seeing Nosferatu for the first time, it was a mix between a swamp creature and Lord Voldemort. I was taken aback by the contrast of perceived appearance and actual appearance. Nosferatu seemed to look similar to everything else but Count Dracula. He even resembled Baraka from the Mortal Kombat series, mouth-wise. A good part of this movie had me questioning the design of Nosferatu as a character. Was this intentional, as to avoid copyright and plagerism? Or was it the perceived figure of a vampire in the 1920’s? Overall, Nosferatu had too many distractions for me to actually enjoy watching it.

“Vampires: Folklore, fantasy and fact – Michael Molina.” The Moving Company Animation Studio. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Oct. 2013.

“Baraka.” Mortal Kombat. Kuro Selas, n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2013.