Nosferatu Mood Diary

Upon hearing the name Nosferatu and seeing Count Orlok I also thought of the Spongebob scene that many people have already mentioned:

I did have some feelings of fear watching the movie. I watched in my room late at night while everyone was sleeping. I also had headphones on so that added to the affect. I agree with other posters though, that being a teen in the 2013 has very much desensitized me to many ‘horror’ movie tactics. Although I can’t watch scary movies, I would classify Nosferatu  as a horror or thriller film. A lot of the scenes and special effects seem corny to us now, but still impressive for a film made in 1922.

The black and white, grouped with the suspenseful music and the fact that there was no dialogue, gave the film this very eery feeling.

There’s always this mystery shrouded in black and white. The obviously classic black and white film style (something that is considered a stylistic choice in cinema these days) also contributed to this sense of mystery, my feelings of anxiety, apprehension, and awe. The use of shadows was spectacular. The visual style reminded me of Tim Burton style artwork. Especially the use of shadows throughout the film made me think of these drawing that I found a few weeks back.

Sometimes I did find my self laughing at the corniness. It is funny imagining that some parts were made to be very scary to the viewer. Although I did find myself looking over my shoulder a few times, I caught some scenes with a smile. This scene below was funny and just his general raising of the hands because that’s supposed to be scary. These days we use it as a teasing technique or to scare little children.

scar