Creative Project #3 Animation

IDC Creative Proj 3

The themes that I chose best represented Nosferatu would have to be women’s innocence, shadows and life. I symbolized women’s innocence through the orange flowers. Their bright, vivid colors contrasted with the black bushes and outlines surrounding them. These black outlines symbolized the shadows and the image of Nosferatu. In my mind Nosferatu is very dark, evil and lonely. I wanted to show the large difference between these two ideas through their colors. I also represented life with an egg. In my collage the egg can be seen as the sun. I believe that life is the energy that fuels everything else. It gives the flowers, women’s innocence, a chance to grow and bloom. It is also important for the existence of shadows because without light, shadows can’t possibly exist. For Nosferatu’s case, his long life leads him hide in the shadows and is partly responsible for the dark and lonely life he lives. At the end of my animation, I decided to turn one flower red. This was to signify the turning of a women’s innocence. In Nosferatu, the flower would symbolize Lucy and in Dracula it would represent Nina. The flower, which is surrounded by darkness and the shadows, eventually succumbs to being tainted. The color red in my collage is associated with “becoming tainted”. I changed the hues of my collages to look more red because I wanted to represent how the world has become more tainted with darkness and the shadows.

Nosferatu [gif]

Creative Project #3 Animation — 3 Comments

1. I really liked how you used an egg as the sun. The yolk really does look like the sun peeking over the horizon. The contrast of the flowers and the bushes is really prominent and shows the difference between woman’s innocence and darkness and corruption. I’m not sure if this was your intention, but the orange flowers are the same color as the sun, and since the sun represents life, those flowers could also represent life and woman’s innocence. I also like how you turned one flower red. It makes me wonder if the other flowers will also soon follow the first one and become red and also tainted as time goes on. Great background picture, too! It’s really beautiful.

2. I also did not realize that the sun was an egg until after reading your description. That was such a great idea. The egg really looks like the sun. Your animation captures the innocence and life aspects you mentioned well. I liked how you used flowers to represent that in life we are given the chance to grow and stand out. I like the fact that the darkness and shadows on the other hand represent life being taken the wrong way in the case of Noseforatu and how he is responsible for his dark and lonely life.