Horror Video Theatrical StoryTelling By DNA

Produced and brought to you by DNA:

Donald Fung

Nick Djamalidinov

Alan Chen

Here is the video:

Play it on 1080 HD for the highest quality.

Citations concerning music:

WildFunAwesome. “Horror Movie – Jump Scare Sound Effects (2) LQ.” Online Video                Clip. Youtube. Youtube, 18 Aug. 2012. Web. 13 Nov. 2013

Gu Coppyy’I. “Scary Horror Music!!” Online Video Clip. Youtube. Youtube, 23 Aug.                  2010. Web. 13 Nov. 2013.

FunSoundTube. “Big Scary Bang Sound Effect.” Online Video Clip. Youtube. Youtube,             24 Mar. 2013. Web. 13 Nov. 2013.

Horror Video Theatrical StoryTelling By DNA — 8 Comments

1. I enjoyed your short film! I liked the use of Candy Crush because it made me put my guard down for the upcoming parts of the rest of the video. To me, Candy Crush was used for comedic effect and set the tone of something that happened in everyday life, which puts the following supernatural events all the more unusual and potentially scary.
    Let me be honest here. I was pretty spooked out by Nick’s appearance as a vampire thanks to the effective use of the creepy sound effect. I was covering my ears towards the end of the short film because I was afraid Nick would make more frightening appearances (but let’s face it, I get scared way too easily anyway).
    I also enjoyed the use of the first-person point of view. It definitely helped me get into the mood and action. The post-it notes and the creepy images on the computer screens all helped build up the tension and the way the camera shook also evoked a sense of anxiety and genuine fear. Your short film absorbs the audience so it makes everything seem more real. Scary stuff, guys. Great work!

2. I like how you adopted the first person point of view throughout the film! It helps me relate to the protagonist more, especially when he trips and falls after leaving the room. I also like the music that’s used to signify the transformation Nick goes through – from a mortal human being to immortal vampire. You definitely included lots of hint and foreshadowing: laptop screens displaying cross and bloody wounds and the cellphone that’s about to call 911. Later on, we discover that Nick has been bitten by Dracula! The whole idea of exiting the room to check what’s happening, indeed turns out to be the cause of Nick’s “metamorphosis.”

3. I am amazed! I liked how the film started off with you all having a casual discussion and progressed to something horrifying. Your sound selection definitely added to the horror and made everything look very convincing. In addition, it was interesting how the film was shown from Alan’s perspective and thus, Alan himself was never shown. This was a creative decision that your group made and although it worked to render the feeling of terror and mystery, I want to ask you why you chose to do that. Was there any other reason for this perspective?
    Lastly, I especially liked the scene when Alan renters the room and finds the “911” dialed on his phone. (By the way, whose phone was that? Alan already took his phone with him, so did the vampire leave his phone to scare Alan?) Overall, I think you have put in great effort in making this creative project and it definitely shows.

4. Wow you totally surprised me! At first I saw Candy Crush and I was very confused, but after watching it I completely see where you were coming from. Like many scary movies you started off with someone doing something innocent and average and then out of nowhere the creepiness started. My favorite part was when you were pulling off the post-its and more kept appearing. I’m still not sure exactly who was leaving the messages, whether it was the ‘monster’ or its victims, but I appreciated this ambiguity and the fact that it wasn’t straightforward. It was very impressive how over a two minute period you made me go from relaxed and watching Candy Crush to feeling legitimately frightened.

5. You guys did a nice job. In the beginning, you establish normalcy. You guys are simply playing candy crush, which is pretty cool, and shows a typical day. Then out of nowhere one of you is knocked down and weird occurrences happen, creepy. I liked the use of the many post-its that kept appearing on the wall. Also, there were papers thrown all over the floor, and you utilized the three laptops as props and scenery. It’s an interesting concept, and was quite creepy and scary, nice job.

6. Great piece! Your video editing skills are pretty amazing! Your use of lighting was very intriguing to watch and consider. Your attention to detail really made this piece phenomenal. That wasn’t very scary though, at least not for me. I really liked how you started out with playing candy crush, it helped ease the viewer into the scene and made he or she comfortable, with respect to the popularity and addictiveness everyone can connect to with candy crush. Well scripted and executed!

7. Great job! First, I wanna say that your music perfectly convey’s the scene you are trying to set. I liked how you used the available resources at Baruch, and rented out a study room. In addition to this, I liked that you were actually able to convey suspense. The elaborate use of props was also great and it all came together very well. I particularly liked when you walked out of the study room after seeing the array of post-it notes, because it definitely established a sort of fear. Overall, good work. I would have only worked on adding something like heavy breathing to add a feeling of disorientation, and I don’t know if the candy crush at the beginning is completely necessary.

8. I really liked your video! I liked how you started the film with a scene of the characters playing Candy Crush. It helped establish that it was an ordinary day and did not give any hints about what was to come. I was actually pretty scared when the camera jumped to an image of a vampire-like Nick. I also loved how you used creepy notes and the phone with 911 dialed to set the mood. I think you guys did an especially great job with the horror aspect of the project!