The Thing

This short film has been brought to you by Karen Choi, Julian Tsang, and Ariel Yuan.

Works Cited

Jojikiba. “Door lock sound effect.” Youtube. Youtube, 12 November 2011. Web. 15 November 2013.

Medwyn Goodall. Behold the Darkness. Rec. 1 Aug. 1999. 2003 New World Music, 1999. YouTube. YouTube, 31 Jan. 2009. Web. 10 Nov. 2013.

Miguel Custódio. Hermione Granger Scenes Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone Part 1.” Youtube. Youtube, 6 July 2013. Web. 16 November 2013.

RandomMinecraftBuild. “Slender Static.” Youtube. Youtube, 1 October 2012. Web. 17 November 2013.

TheCandid. “DRAMATIC/SUSPENSE SOUND EFFECTS 2.” Youtube. Youtube, 6 May 2013. Web. 15 November 2013.

WolvesOfEurope. “Static Noise [Download link in description].” Youtube. Youtube, 1 December 2012. Web. 10 November 2013.

The Thing — 12 Comments

1. Your project was awesome! I was actually pretty freaked out while watching it. I liked how you played around with the lighting to set the mood. I also liked your selection of sound effects. They were super creepy and so fitting with the scenes. Overall, every aspect of the video was edited very well. I think this was more horrifying to watch than Nosferatu.

2. I am speechless! This was an amazing project! I really liked how you paid attention to the small details because it worked in your favor. For instance, when the photo frame fell over the life insurance forms, I thought I was watching an actual film. I think the acting was on point—balance between creepy and natural. (By the way, Ariel’s warning was truly terrifying!) Overall, your concept was well thought out and the music was apt for the film. You also kept the viewer engaged by evoking sympathy for Julian. Great job!

3. This reminded me about the movie,”The Ring”. In “The Ring” the creepy girl has hair covering her face and goes around killing people. The placement of the cut scenes with static was excellent. It allowed Karen to move around and created feelings of suspense. I really like the use of darkness in this video because this is something we can relate to. I know when I go home at night and no one is home yet, the rooms are pitch dark. The use of the cracked picture in a sense told us that there was definitely something in the room with Julian. Overall, the project was a success and convinced me to keep my lights on!

4. Your concept was great and your video was very well edited. You guys truly scared me. I really liked the scene where Ariel warned Julian not to walk into his room. In horror films such as Nosferatu, the protagonist always receives clear warnings to stop but yet they always proceed. This is a theme seen in many horror films that ends with the protagonist trapped in all types of bad situations that they could’ve easily avoided if they listened to their initial warnings. I also liked your use of sound effects such as the creaky door and the use of flickering lights to add to the horror. The mirror was also very effective; I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw Karen with her hair down in the bathroom mirror. Your ending was very frightening with your use of color transformation and the fuzzy screen which really added to the horror. After watching your film, you not only left me feeling scared, you also left me curious about how you guys were able to use all these amazing effects.

5. I am actually petrified right now. Your short horror film was creative, well crafted, and above all, totally scary. The editing, sound effects, and music were flawless. I love how you guys utilized light and darkness to enhance your film. Further, your use of mirrors and doors was very creepy and well done. Your film, overall, truly portrayed horror and appeared professionally done. Excellent job!

6. Wow this was amazing, I’m an avid horror movie watcher and I was actually scared. The use of darkness and shadows was so well done; it seemed like it was filmed in a studio. The beginning with the ‘creepy neighbor’ in the hallway reminded me of so many hallway scenes in other scary movies like Pulse, The Shining, or The Messengers. I saw so many archetypal horror references, we used the lipstick writing on the mirror in ours as well, but for a three minute film it had such a completed plotline. All in all this was so well done and totally scary!

7. You guys did a nice job. You used the dim lighting inside the hallway and in the apartment as a tool. The sound effects were scary as well. This was quite terrifying. I liked how you used the different mirrors to show scary images in the rooms. It is definitely a good parallel for a horror genre in a short time slot, nice job.

8. Wow! What a great use of sound effects that created a chilling and suspenseful effect. I was honestly pretty scared watching that; especially the bedroom scene. It reminded me of many scary movies that I’ve seen so good job on the editing as well. I think the clip mimicked Nosferatu pretty well by outlining the major themes of disorder and horror. I also appreciated the cliffhanger at the end. Guess we’ll never know what happened to Julian! Overall, excellent job!

9. Great job guys! I really like the camera work. It centered around Julian and just like horror movies, “the thing” was always just of view, never coming to the forefront until the end. I liked the intro as well, you put a unique spin on the creepy neighbor. i connected with it a lot because I have some creepy neighbors so it makes me think of the possibilities. I think that is the best way to scare people: to make them think that what they see can actually happen to them. The lighting and sound effects were on point as well, it set the mood for me to actually be scared, as the eerie music makes me focus very hard on the sound until something just jumps out.

10. Great piece! Your video editing skills are pretty amazing! That was a fairly scary piece. Your use of lighting was very intriguing to watch and consider. Your sound selection was very good and fit very well with every scene. Your attention to detail really made this piece phenomenal. This short clip was scarier than the entirety of Nosferatu!

11. Good job! I liked that you took advantage of the lights. I also noticed that your scene begins with the elevator. Almost all the ones that I have watched make use of an elevator or escalator. It makes sense because a lot of times we fear these forms of transportations breaking down. Anyway, phenomenal job. Very good use of sound as well.

Janice Fong

12. This is really good! I like the editing and different perspectives you used to capture horror. The sound effects really brought about the theme of horror and I enjoyed watching your piece. The lipstick on the mirror was a nice touch, and the precision of movement in your video is exceptionally well done. Bravo!