Sound Sculpture – Between Life and Death

The purpose of our sound sculpture is to capture the moment between life and death. Our sculpture starts off with a man in the hospital bed tracing back the events of the day. In the unconscious state, he is taken on a journey through hell and heaven, while trying to keep a grip into the world.

The heart rate monitor throughout the sculpture signifies his ability to cling onto life while the demons and angels of the afterlife attempt to pull him in. The two combined create the limbo between life and death, where sounds of both sides merge together all during an unconscious state.

The metronome throughout signifies that dreamy and cloudy state of mind to add to his state of confusion. We decided to end our sculpture with silence to signify the unknown, because the battle between life and death is always unclear.

By Michael Mamiye, Marc Saadia, And Samantha Chiu

Emergency Siren – German Ambulance Siren, Steady, No Engine, 1985 (Acoustic Horn Type) Sounddogs. MP3

Heart monitor beep: constant, indicating flatline Sounddogs. MP3

Drone Texture Musical Tonal Chimes Bells Voices Fantasy Dreamy Calming Sleepy Sounddogs. MP3

Machines – Hospital Heart Monitor – Interior – Close Up – 60 Beats Minute, Counting Each Heart Beat, (Monitors A Patients Heart Rate and Rhythm] Sounddogs. MP3

HEARTBEAT – PULSE – FAST – HOSPITAL – HUMAN – VERSION 2 Sounddogs. MP3

Tires – Skids – Pavement (With Engine) – Peel Out – MCU – Fast Strong Screeching Away, Beefy Engine Noise. Sounddogs. MP3

Machines – Sci-Fi Electrical Machine – Int – CU – Ambient Harp-Like Glides W/ Oscillating Undercurrent. Sounddogs. MP3

Sirens – Wail – Ext – Bys, Various Distances, Nice Reverb & Echo” Sounddogs. MP3

Heavy Demon Growls – Bassy, Big, Angry, Drastically Pitch Shifted and Processed Animal Sounds. Sounddogs. MP3

Sound Sculpture – Between Life and Death — 4 Comments

1. I like your approach to the theme limbo. There is a conflict between good and evil over the soul of his person who has just died. To me, it reflects upon the ambiguous nature of the after-life. Do we really know what are fate will be when we die? The ending of your sound sculpture shows this as well since the listener is unsure about where the person’s fate lies with. Great job!

2. Guys, I really enjoyed your sound sculpture. The change in tone was apparent and easy to understand. I liked the mix of uncertainty and certainty, like the car crash versus the silence at the end. The end was really realistic as it demonstrated the ambiguity of death and the afterlife. Overall, great sound sculpture.

3. Your sound sculpture reminds me a lot of Dante’s Inferno, where Dante’s character must travel through Hell, Purgatory, and eventually Heaven. The constant heart monitor sound really makes it clear that the man is in an unconscious state, in limbo, in an earthly sort of Purgatory. I like that the end is ambiguous, reflecting both the uncertainty of life and the uncertainty of whether there even is an afterlife to go to, whether the sounds of Heaven and Hell were real or simply the product of an unconscious man’s subconscious.

4. This is really nice. I felt like I could see a movie playing out as I listened to the sound sculpture. The beeping machine also created a great continuity without. Awesome idea.