Sound Sculpture – Evolution

Michael Goldberg

Edward Mordechai

Hanna Utkin

Sound Sculpture

Whether it is the mutation of a man to a horrifying rodent, or the decomposition of a vampire to a cloud of dust, the characters we have read about in The Nose, The Metamorphosis, and Nosferatu, all underwent a type of transformation.  For our sound sculpture, we wanted to give the listener a taste of the transformation of the sounds of music.

Music, at its core, is an auditory display of emotion.  To fully capture the history of sounds, and the emotions it can bring out of us, we chose many different versions of the same song, “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons.  We chose the song because its many versions allowed us to explore the transformation of sound. Very few songs manage to capture the imaginations of artists across so many different genres, however this song managed to appeal to virtually all musical disciplines.  As well, its lyrics are particularly poignant and relevant to our thematic goal. They tell a story about a revolution- an overwhelming and irreversible emotional and physical change. Our sound sculpture’s central idea too, addresses the technological revolution and the irreversible change it has done to our ability to hear sound.

We began our sculpture with the most primal symphony in the World, the rain forest.   Next, we go from very human-made sounds, such as instrumental and folk, to the computerized dub step and techno that is so popular today.  While we enjoy every version of the song, we wanted the listener to get a taste of all the different sounds.  We wanted to convey a transformative, emotional journey.

Bibliography

AirwaveMusicTV. “Imagine Dragons – Radioactive (Synchronice Dubstep Remix).” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 12 Jun, 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

BriansThing. “Imagine Dragons – Radioactive – Saxophone Cover.” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 31 May 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

Countrymx4171. “Tropical Rainforest Sounds.” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 20 Jul. 2011. 15 Nov 2013.

FoXyShredZz. “Imagine Dragons – Radioactive (Dubstep REMIX).” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 7 Jan. 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

Gardiner Sisters. “Radioactive- Imagine Dragons Acoustic Cover by Gardiner Sisters.” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 16 Mar. 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

ImagineDragonsVEVO. “Imagine Dragons – Radioactive (Live London Sessions).” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 7 Apr. 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

Ivar smits. “Imagine Dragons – Radioactive remix ( DJ ravy ).” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 10 Jun. 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

Jdfalconer9. “Imagine Dragons – Radioactive [Slowed Down].” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 27 Nov. 2013. 15 Now. 2013.

Jjmlapbap. “”Radioactive” (Imagine Dragons) Barbershop Quartet (a cappella).” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 10 Jul. 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

KellyValleau. “Radioactive (Imagine Dragons) – Fingerstyle Guitar.” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 1 Apr. 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

Lindsey Stirling “Radioactive – Lindsey Stirling and Pentatonix (Imagine Dragons Cover).” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 12 Mar. 2013. 15 Nov 2013.

MusicTewns. “RADIOACTIVE” [PIANO INSTRUMENTAL/KARAOKE] BY IMAGINE DRAGONS.” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 28 May 2013. 15 Now 2013.

OurLastNightBand. “Imagine Dragons – “Radioactive” Cover by Our Last Night.” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 13 Aug. 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

RossWell98. “William Joseph – Radioactive [Audio Visualizer].” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 15 Oct. 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

Subscribe if You Love the Violin. “Radioactive Vitamin String Quartet (Imagine Dragons).” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 9 Mar. 2013. 15 Nov. 2013.

Sound Sculpture – Evolution — 3 Comments

1. I really like that you guys chose to create your sound sculpture on one song. The mix of various genres clearly show the progression of music forms, and does well to highlight the idea of transformation. I certainly went on that emotional journey that you tried to convey, and I found that it was easier to respond because of your use of one song. I also like how you started and ended your sound sculpture with the rain forest because it shows that no matter what kind of form music takes on, in the end, it can still be enjoyed by everyone.

2. I enjoyed your sound sculpture, especially because of the song you used to transform. Playing “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons in numerous different ways really got across the idea of transformation or mutation. Listening to the same song in different styles gets across the idea of speaking to different peoples interpretation of music. The idea of starting in the primitive rainforest and then returning to it in the end, gave me the image of evolution and then the rerun to simplicity. This sound sculpture was really good because it made me think and made me want to dance a little.

3. This sound sculpture is interesting in that it is many versions of the same song. I like how each version is unique to its own and conveys your desired result of technological innovation. This piece was beautifully mixed with the transitions smooth as a newborn’s face. However, the subject matter is so complex that you exceeded the 90 second limit on the piece. That is my only criticism but otherwise I really enjoyed this sound sculpture