‘Long Walk to Freedom:’ One Film Uniting a Nation

As many people are probably aware, South-African social revolutionary and long-time hero Nelson Mandela died this past week. When I first starting crafting this review, Mandela was still alive and the nation was rejoicing about the new movie released based on his experiences. The author of the New York Times Article “Father to a Nation, and to a Family,” Rick Lyman, discussed how the entire nation saw the movie as a celebration of South African social progression.  The premier of the film attracted media attention and drew masses of people to theaters, not only in South Africa but also worldwide.

Photo credit: World News: http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/05/17500450-he-is-now-at-peace-nelson-mandela-dead-at-95

There have already been several films made about the South African civil leader. Most well known before this most recent movie was Invictus, a movie that focused on the period just after Mandela’s election and the end of apartheid when he appealed to the nationalism surrounding the South African rugby team to unite a nation in turmoil. But this film, like most of the films or exposes about Mandela, focused on one specific period of his life.

However this new film, entitled “Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom,” attempts to portray Mandela’s life from childhood to retirement. Given his long and extremely eventful life, this was a daunting task. Other films used a specific event in his life to convey his personality and tangible influence over South African civil development. Compressing over 80 years of personal relationships and national relevancy into a two –hour movie would seem impossible.

However Rick Lyman writes that although the movie spans almost the entirety of Mandela’s life, it still has a central focus. The events that unfold around him over the decades are centered around conversations between him and various members of his family. His upbringing, marriage, and fatherhood are used to tie together the history of years of conflict, fighting, and eventually resolution.

Due to this Lyman chose to interview Mandela’s daughter, Zindzi Mandela, about the film. She and her siblings assisted the production of the film; acting as ‘historical references.’ Zindzi described how she and her family helped the producer create a truthful story of Mandela’s life. They did not skate over the rough patches, but instead exposed him as a real, albeit exceptional, person.

The New York Times article gave the film a rave review. Lyman described it as a moving portrayal of Mandela’s life that does not idealize the hero but exposes the man. The producers did not skate over his personality flaws or marked youth. Rather, according to the New York Times review, but instead uses Mandela’s personal life to exhibit the struggles behind the South African social revolution.

Following Mandela’s death the film is sure to become an iconic representation of the struggle for South African social equality. At a time when the nation is torn by grief yet united by nationalistic pride for their long-time hero, the film could inspire current South African leaders to follow in Mandela’s footsteps. The coincidental timing of this movie release with regards to this national tragedy have potential to make ‘A Long Walk to Freedom’ a South African classic. I have yet to see the film but, out of both curiosity and sentiment for Mandela’s memory, I plan to do so soon. And I suspect that every emotion the film inspires will be magnified by the knowledge that this great leader is gone.

‘Long Walk to Freedom:’ One Film Uniting a Nation — 10 Comments

1. Over the summer, there were several articles written on Nelson Mandela’s life and his cherished accomplishments. When the news of his hospitalization spread, the world was engulfed in an uncertain, anxious state because we were afraid of losing all the goodness Mandela had brought forth to humanity. That’s when I got to learn more about what Mandela did for us. Thus, I would love to watch the film based on his life. I agree that his death, media fervor, and the surrounding news around his lifetime accomplishments will push people to go to the theaters and participate in a legendary movement that Mandela courageously realized. I especially like the fact that the movie takes a neutral approach of Mandela; as you mentioned, it tries to “expose the man” rather than idealize his image. However, I want to see this film because of his personality. He spent twenty-seven years in jail and when asked, all he had to say was that his experience in jail made him a better person. Such humbleness and optimism is truly inspiring. I understand the motto of looking at glass half full, but even that saying has its own limitations. For a person to spend twenty-seven years away from his family and life—all because he wanted to take the initiative to better humanity—and remain humble is astounding. I have yet to meet a person whose heart is so devoted and pure that it won’t see anything evil in humans. No matter how wrong someone may be, he would say there is something about him that will make him a better person. For instance, he once said that human beings are not born to hate; they only learn from their surroundings. He adds, if they can be made to hate, they can be taught to love. After reading his words, I concur with President Obama’s remark, “He was one for the ages.” There is certainly no doubt left there.

2. First off let me start by suggesting that you not see the movie. I have read the autobiography “Long Walk to Freedom” and I am sure that the producers will not be able to grasp neither the absurd injustice nor the complexities of Nelson Mandela’s life the way his autobiography. But, I guess if you are a really short on time, the movie is better than nothing. Also, looking at the previews it seems as if the movie stresses the flash and extravegance of the rugby games. This was a very minor part in Mandella’s Long Walk to Freedom. The movie will probably not do this man’s struggle justice.

3. Nelson Mandela was a man that had and still has a far reaching effect on the world. Not only, did he fight for equality in South Africa and play a major role in ending apartheid, but he set an example and a standard. His actions and words has impacted people around the world. People in each country expressed their grief once they heard that Mandela passed away.
    The matter concerning the production of documentaries to commemorate and remember his work will always be flawed. Like most attempts to convert novels to movies, it will fail. It is nearly impossible to capture a book, let alone a person’s life in a film. We should give up our expectations and take what we can from this documentary. “Long Walk to Freedom” may not match up to the autobiography, but that isn’t the point. The point is that we celebrate and understand the impact of Nelson Mandela’s work.

4. Agreeing with the posts above, it is extremely hard to condense any book into a movie without it being too long and people not wanting to watch it. However, the most important thing is that the documented film is there and that Zindzi and her siblings were in this to assist the production of the film. Later generations will be able to view it and understand Nelson Mandela’s remarkable works, which I believe is the most influential thing that a film can do.

5. Having lived in South Africa, I regard Nelson Mandela as an international hero. Not only was he influential in South Africa, but in the entire world as well. He served as a role model to everyone, and it is important that we understand his importance. As a result, I am very happy that another movie is coming out about his life. I personally plan on reading his autobiography over the winter break. It will be interesting to see whether watching the movie will convey to people the sheer importance of this man.

6. I was aware of Mandela’s death and accomplishments but I was unaware that there were movies about him until I read your review. I would definitely be interested in watching a movie on his life since he’s been through so much hardship and still managed to emerge as the hero of South Africa and the world. It would be really interesting to learn about his life behind the big picture as a husband and father. In addition, I really want to learn about how he spent his 27 years in jail. However, I understand that it will be hard to incorporate his entire life into a two-hour movie due to his life’s complexity. I really like Lyman’s approach towards making the film by interviewing Mandela’s daughters and sons to seek information on his personal life. By doing this, it would remove some of the bias towards him as an idol and present a more realistic figure to the world.

I think Mandela’s death would definitely popularize Lyman’s movie and hopefully would inspire current South African leaders to follow Mandela’s footsteps. I find Mandela’s goal in life to make positive change and contributions to society truly amazing. His success in ending apartheid is a result of his persistence to bring about positive change. Although “Long Walk to Freedom” may be not be a direct representation of his life like his autobiography was, I am looking forward to seeing the film to learn more about Mandela’s life. The film will definitely become an important part of history as we continue to remember and celebrate his contributions and view him as a role model.

7. Nelson Mandela is spoken about as a great leader and orator while taught about in schools. This movie about him really capitalizes on the fact that he is a remarkable person – down to earth and humble. I’m quite curious as to what 27 years in jail helped him realize. I believe that other leaders in South Africa will take after Nelson Mandela, and strive to improve society and promote social well-being. He has touched the hearts of many, and his accomplishments have reached the ears of all. A movie and book will not be able to fully contain the idea of who he really was, but it is definitely a start.

8. I’m glad to hear that filmmakers are attempting to portray Nelson Mandela, an international icon of peace, in a manner that not only recounts events throughout his life, but also shows viewers how various experiences shaped him to become a recognized hero and leader. I agree that it is difficult to condense all the notable occurrences that Mandela lived through in a two hour-long movie, but I think audiences will nevertheless be inspired by it. It is important that Mandela’s story be shared and documented because he was such an influential figure in our history. I hope to see the film soon, in celebration of Mandela’s life.

9. I truthfully have only recently learned more about the details of Nelson Mandela’s life. It is incredible what he accomplished. I think that, sadly, people don’t recognize idols like this for what they truly accomplished until a movie is produced. Although I don’t think it should take a movie to make people realize who is changing the world, Mandela needs to be remembered. Thus, I think a movie done in the right light could be amazing. I really only knew that he worked to gain independence for South Africa

10. I truthfully have only recently learned more about the details of Nelson Mandela’s life. It is incredible what he accomplished. I think that, sadly, people don’t recognize idols like this for what they truly accomplished until a movie is produced. Although I don’t think it should take a movie to make people realize who is changing the world, Mandela needs to be remembered. Thus, I think a movie done in the right light could be amazing. I really only knew that he worked to gain independence for South Africa. However, when I read an article about his life it really made me realize how important Mandela was. I learned about his background and the history that led him to the point he was in the 90s. I learned that he was born into a royal family, and this was instrumental in ridding the country of apartheid. I learned that while he was in prison, he heard about posters saying free Nelson Mandela, and he thought people on the outside were under the impression his first name was free. Anyway, I thought that the background that led up to him becoming world renown were really important. Since the production is already underway, I would hope they shaped the movie the right way to honor his entire life.