From The Peopling of New York City

Jump to: navigation, search

Ellis Island

On February 28, 2010 a group of us went to Ellis Island. Ellis island

Napoli Bio

How I got here by Prof. Napoli

Since you guys don’t know me, I will start with a short autobiography.

I prepared this statement in 2008, and I’ve made a few adjustments here.

I was born in 1960 in London, Ontario, Canada. My father was an Italian immigrant and my mother’s family members were Puritan migration people, meaning they came to this country in the 1640s.

My father was a professor of medicine, which meant that we moved around a little bit when I was young. We landed in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1966 when my father took a job at a teaching hospital attached to the University of Cincinnati. Four years later, my mother began her teaching career as a professor of sociology and social work at the university. So, it is pretty clear that I come from a family of academics.

After moving to Atlanta, Georgia for a short period, my parents split up in 1973 and my mother, my sister and I moved back to Cincinnati. I graduated from high school in 1978. The school is similar to Stuyvesant or Bronx Science or one of the other specialized New York schools.

I attended McGill University in Montreal, graduating in 1982. My undergraduate degree was in history. I came to New York in the spring of 1983 and after initially having a tough time finding a job due to the Reagan recession, finally landed a job at a publishing company which paid very little.

In 1985 or 1986, I can't remember which just now, I decided I wanted to go to graduate school in history. I moved out of New York and back to my hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio for in short time while I made my graduate school applications. I was accepted at Columbia University and started graduate school in the fall of 1986. It took me a long time to get my Ph.D., but I finally graduated in 1998. During those many years I had a variety of jobs, among them was as a New York City tour guide and a private school teacher. I spent a little more than a year teaching high school at Dalton on the Upper East Side.

In 1995 I got a very interesting, and ultimately important part time job. I was asked by a member of the law faculty at NYU to do oral history interviews with most of the Americans involved in the resolution to the 1979 – 1981 Iranian hostage crisis. That year was the fifteenth anniversary of the ending of the crisis and a number of lawyers involved in the process want to get together to talk about what happened to all the money. When the hostages were released, $12 billion changed hands in a matter of seconds. At the time, it was the largest single financial transaction in the history of the world. So, I got to talk to virtually everybody involved on the American side with the exception of Warren Christopher and Jimmy Carter. I talked to Cyrus Vance, Jimmy Carter’s Secretary of State, but sorry to say Mr. Vance was suffering from Alzheimer’s. He didn’t know why I was there and threw me out of his apartment! We collected about twenty oral histories from the participants and transcribed them.

Nothing very significant was ever done with them. But that would lead in 1998 to one of the most interesting summers of my life. Of course, I had graduated by that summer, and I was looking for work. The world of the network anchor is relatively small. Alan Brinkley is the son of ABC’s David Brinkley whom most of you will probably not remember. But at one time, he was one of the most important people on television. Anyway, Alan set me up with Tom Brokaw who was at that time preparing to write his book The Greatest Generation. One of Tom’s research assistants was leaving to go to law school and Tom needed a replacement. So, I got to step in and do about 1/3 of the interviews for that book. That meant that summer I interviewed, largely by telephone people such as Julia Child, former Secretary of state George Shultz, former Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, former Oregon Senator Mark Hatfield, who was one of the first Americans into Hiroshima after the use of the atomic bomb, and a number of others. The most intense part of the whole experience came when they gave me 72 hours to fact check the 300 page manuscript. That was quite a moment. I managed to save Tom from a couple of whoppers, but I also missed a couple as well. We fixed the ones I missed when the book went back to press. It did that a lot. It stayed on the bestseller list as a hardcover book for three years. I sure wish I had a piece of the profit from that!

Once I had my Ph.D., of course I went on the job market. It was a miserable moment to be trying to find an academic job. So, my mentor and sponsor, Alan Brinkley helped me find a job at the Columbia University libraries. I spent eighteen months as a curator of manuscripts within the library taking care of a collection of papers from New York’s longest-serving governor, Herbert Lehmann. At the same time, I was teaching as an adjunct here at Brooklyn College and other places. In 2001, a full time line came available at Brooklyn College and I was encouraged to apply for the position.

Frankly, I was a little reluctant because a full time teaching job literally paid less than the library job I had the time. But I made the application, was offered, and accepted the job.

In 2003 I was given $50,000 by an anonymous donor to begin an oral history project on New York City’s relationship to the Vietnam War. It took me a long time to gain traction within the veteran community. But over time, I built up a number of good connections and my oral history work expanded. I have a contract for a book on the subject, and my editor is currently tapping his fingers anxiously awaiting the completed manuscript.

You guys know very well that it is difficult to juggle many classes at the same time. Faculty members do exactly the same thing. So, my progress in writing has been slower than I would like. Additionally I have had other projects to complete. One of them is an exhibition of my oral histories at the Brooklyn Historical Society, entitled In Our Own Words: Portraits Of Brooklyn’s Vietnam Veterans. That exhibition took me a full year to organize, but I had great support from my graduate AND undergraduate students and they got course credit for doing work on the exhibition. (Stick with me and really cool things can happen. I've taken undergraduates and grad students on research trips before, and other interesting opportunities are always coming up!) I collected the oral histories and most of the artifacts on display and a designer was hired to literally put the exhibition together.

I’ve been married for more than twenty years and have two young children, aged seven and ten years, both girls.