First Stop: American Museum of Natural History.

The American Museum of Natural History is the first stop on our journey through New York City. The museum is located on 81st street and Central Park West. As we come up on the museum, we see the museum that most of us saw in the movie, Night at the Museum. People all over the world watch TV and when they see a celebrity or object that they saw in a movie, on the street, it’s like an accomplishment. “OH MY GOD! I SAW HER IN A MOVIE!”

The American Museum of Natural History was in the movie Night at the Museum and when coming close to it, I get the same feeling. This makes something that we once saw on TV within reach a couple minutes away.

As we enter, we see the giant skeleton of a dinosaur that AMNH is incredibly famous for. Among the various exhibits, we visit the The Butterfly Conservatory and the Picturing Science: Museum Scientists and Imaging Technologies.

The Butterfly Conservatory is a collection of thousand of butterflies from around the world both on displaybehind glass and in a room when you are surrounded by live, flying butterflies. The butterflies in the room are literally in reach because you are able to touch them, hold them, and feed them. The opportunity to play around with hundreds of butterflies is a great attraction for the kids as they can hold an orange and the butterflies sit on their hands.

The Picturing Science: Museum Scientists and Imaging Technologies exhibit isa compilation of extrapolated pictures of various animals and artifacts through different imaging devices. Some are X-Ray, infrared photographs, scanning electron microscopes images, and CT scans. The emerging technologies allow us to visualize objects that we either see throughout our day, or animals that we know of, through a completely different perspective.

I greatly enjoyed myself exploring different views of object that I have seen on regular photographs before and I enjoyed immersing myself in a sea of butterflies.