Born in Brooklyn and Still Here

Picture1There is nothing luxurious about working two jobs and attending school, unless it helps prepare you for a bright future.

“Working both jobs helps me put food on the table and clothes on my back. Also, I am an emergency bank for my folks for whenever they need money,” says Joshua Aaron Melendez León, 22, a doorman in Soho and in Sutton Place who, instead of spending his paycheck on luxuries like accessories and unnecessary clothing, pays his own tuition and saves any money he can for a masters.

“I chose to work here because it facilitates me in doing my school work,” he said during finals week at Brooklyn College, the school from which he will graduate in Fall 2016 with an undergraduate degree.

Joshua’s accomplishments really stand out considering he spent his childhood in a small section of the living room shared by two other families, with a small curtain as “privacy.” This living situation helps him “remember how far we’ve come from basically nothing, where every single dollar counted and food was scarce.”

Joshua plans on using his life experiences to teach his future children the value of hard work and the proper morals they should follow: “I do not want my children to have the same economical problems I had growing up, especially the hardships. All the sleepless nights figuring out what to eat, saving every last dime because that’ll determine your next meal. I would show them the values and morals I’ve learned but I would help show them that the sky is the limit and what you put into this world is what you get out of it. I’ll be as supportive as I can in every aspect possible because that’s what really got me through high school and even now. The help and moral support from my family got me through tough times even when things weren’t looking so bright. I would give the same type of love my parents gave me to my future kids.”

Joshua loves NYC despite the hustling people attempting to attain productive lifestyles. He especially loves Times Square and all of its beautiful lights. Joshua finds the food from Soho delicious, and the scenery from Central Park is “to die for.”

timessquare

Joshua’s schedule is so packed each day that time management is key for him to maintain a healthy balance in life. He says, “the fact that I work so much, a full time student would drive anyone insane. Yes, it does keep me productive but it helps me stay productive.”

At the end of the day, Joshua reflects positively on the Hebrew meaning of his name, the “helper of God” or “the helper of people.” His position as a doorman comes with a great responsibility of helping the residents of the building after their long days in the heat or in the cold. Joshua’s family came to the United States in search for new opportunities and a hope for a better future, and they definitely found what they have been looking for. They may not be there yet, but they are well on their way to accomplish their goals!