Carlos Sanchez’s Interview as told to Sharon Santhosh

Carlos Sanchez grew up in a hardworking and modest family in Ambato, Ecuador before immigrating to the United States in 1995. After facing many initial hardships such as lack of job skills, difficulty with the English language and of course lingering homesickness, Mr. Sanchez eventually found himself settling down in the predominantly Hispanic area of Jackson Heights, Queens. It is here, with the start of his bakery Sabor Ecuatoriano, where he lives and earns a living to provide for his siblings and children back home in Ecuador. Like many immigrants, Carlos finds himself stuck in a cycle of working and earning money here in the United States, while his heart longs to be back home. Mr. Sanchez frankly shares his childhood memories, and his thoughts on his identity as an immigrant working and living in the United States and expresses his deep hopes that he will one day return to his homeland.

Early Life

I used to work much of the time when I was young. We were always working, just working. I used to work in the street, selling fruits. Me and my brothers we played, we studied, we working on the street selling fruits in the mercados. There were 7 children in the family, I was the youngest one. They protected me a lot. I was very sick when I was young, before 18-year-old. I was sick for 10 years- infermedad en mi pierna- there was lot of blood loss and I was injured. It stopped when I was 18, I go hospitals in Colombia and Peru.

Growing Up

We celebrated independencia and some other holidays but not lot. Not like here. Here, birthday is big event but we were poor in Ecuador. Sometimes, we not even remembering our birthday. It is too different here. There, you have to work to eat that’s it. I didn’t have shoes, or basic clothes.

Important Childhood Event

I remember my father passing away when I was 7. I remember it all the time. He was in an accident and it took his life. The neighbor came in screaming “your father is dead! your father is dead”. I was just a boy 7 year old.

Education

I finished high school in Ecuador. I liked matematicas and fisica. I loved the numbers and I like dividing and multiplying. I wanted to be teacher, a matematicas of fisica teacher. I also wanted to have a business. I don’t know what kind of business but I wanted. I liked computers and phones and technology.

Immigration to United States

This is my second time in the United States- first time was 1995. Immigrante organization brought me here. I was 20/22 years old. Oh my god it was crazy, I cried all the time because I was here 22 days. First time here was crazy. I worked and lived in 71st street in an apartment. My cousin paid lot for me. After I started working in the iron factory, I started paying. I know how to live here. I worked from 9 to 7 pm sometimes 10-12 hours. I made very little very little money- $180 a week is nothing to live here. Later I make like $340- double. My family was very triste to send me here. I love my family. We were unidos. I miss my ma and my brothers. I lost my father, my mama is only left. She worked for all of us.

20140703_170433

Mr. Sanchez in his bakery Sabor Ecuatoriano

New Life/ Thoughts on the United States

People in Ecuador used to say here there is lot of money. Ecuadorian people who come here say they make lot of money, go back and buy a house, buy a car, pay rent. In Estados Unidos, hay mucho dinero. You have to work hard to make money. You have a great life here, but no time for life. In Ecuador, you don’t have money but you have time for life. When I first came, I saw the casas and it was nothing I thought of Estados United. I thought it was like Manhattan, big buildings and people. Here it is all Spanish. I wanted to see the Gringos de Estados Unidos- the white people, blue eyes. I didn’t see nothing like that. In Ecuador you have to work. Here, you have to RUN. It’s muy occupada. You have to make food, wash your clothes, clean your apartment, you have to do everything. In Ecuador, I have my sister and my brother and mama make food for us. Its much easier in Ecuador que here. It is much better situation economica here. In Ecuador you don’t have money, but wonderful time for life. You can talk in your language and relax. You can eat almuerzo and see mother, brothers and sons. In Ecuador, you can see your family. But here, no.

Family Life

I have two children. I don’t like here for my children. I want them to finish studies in Ecuador- much better in Ecuador que here. They are 9 and 7 years. I talk to them two, three times a week. I video with them sometimes. They are my day, my life. They do everything for me. I working for them. They can choose whatever work they want in life. They are focusing on studies. I don’t want my sons to be poor like I was.

Finding Work

I started working here in my brother’s restaurant. I love the kitchen and cooking and the bakery. My brother told me “If you want it go” and I agreed to work. My brother and me don’t have papers. Another person helped him get started. In this area, you don’t need English that much. It’s all Hispanic. Only two or three non-Hispanic come saying “Give me one coffee”.  It’s good. One good thing about the business is that there is lot of Spanish people. One bad thing here is there is lot of business- lot of competition. All the time I am working, working working. When you have a business, you have to earn everything.

Free Time 

I like to run. I like to sleep and recuperada. I walk a lot also. One time I walked all the way to 61st, I live in 111th street. I also play volleyball aqui with one or two people in the park. Ecuadorian people in the park and I play with them in free time.

Future Goals/Plans  

I have to get a green card soon. Because its easy for visit the family and to go back. People in the gobierno promise us lot of things, all the time they say to go to get the papeles de immigrantes, but they never help. They don’t make nothing for us. For my future, I want to make money. For my business I work hard. I want to go back to Ecuador and live the life. Of course, I don’t want to live here. Its crazy, here you have no time for life. In home, you have time for life. There, everything is barrato but here it is all expensive. I want to live for my children. I miss my children. I want to connect with my family again and see everyone again.