'A man's work is from sun to sun, but a mother's work is never done.' Author Unknown

As we look at this photo, which was taken during the 1960s, we should recognize how hard it must have been for African American mothers to live and raise children in Harlem. During this time period, poverty, racism, and discrimination was on the rise during the Civil Rights Movement; this made it very hard for African American families to find a comfortable and affordable place to stay. The mother’s apartment in the photo is small and a bit messy, but she still tries to manage it while at the same time raise her family. She still has dishes in the sink to wash, and it seems that she’s backed up on laundry. The photographer puts a lot of emphasis on the mother, who is in the center of everything in the picture. Her eyes show weariness and anxiety as she cares for her children, trying to make sure her kids live comfortable lives.  She has a tissue to wipe her tears, and worries how she is going to provide a good future for her kids and how each of her kids will lead a good life, especially during their time of social unrest. This picture expresses how many New York City mothers felt back then and continue to feel today: they are worried about the future and fatigued by caring for their children almost 24/7, yet they are still alive and persistent with their lives. Every time I look at this photo, it reminds me of my mother trying to raise me in this city, as our family struggles to survive when racism and poverty never ceases to exist.

Be the first to leave a comment!