My Late Review on the 9/11 Memorial Service at The Riverside Church

On my way over the church, I was feeling, for the first time, nervous about being underground. Hearing about terrorists threats on the 10 year anniversary of that dreadful day had made me extra alert and paranoid while I was attempting to read a book for my Anthropology class. I was slightly uncomfortable and ready to get off the train. Finally, I reached 116th Street and I zoomed out into the street. I eventually met up with some of my peers and we headed off to the church.

When we arrived, I was in awe of its grandeur and aesthetic beauty. I had visited that neighborhood so many times while growing up because I lived in Manhattan and my pediatrician was at St. Luke’s Roosevelt hospital on 113th Street and I NEVER knew such a gorgeous place existed. We quietly sat down as the Queens College Chorus began to take its positions. I believe the chorus sang a SATB Alleluia first. I loved the simple harmonies and the way all the voices were balanced enough to sound like one voice.

The chorus then went on to sing America the Beautiful which was my favorite. I had never heard that choral version and was pleasantly surprised. The soloist had a captivating voice, but I have to admit that the chorus part was my favorite. There were some points in the piece where the chorus made very cool sounds that you find common in a cappella groups. It reminded me of my high school, LaGuardia High School. I found myself closing my eyes and just listening to the music and realizing how much I missed music and being part of an ensemble.

That was how I experienced this service. I felt like maybe it was a sign that I shouldn’t let go of music entirely.

One thought on “My Late Review on the 9/11 Memorial Service at The Riverside Church

1. The second piece was “Amazing Grace” not American the beautiful. And… you are welcome to join the women’s choir or the mixed chorus if you like! I think your experience is quite common for a lot of students, especially those who live in New York. These venues and cultural institutions have always been right here!