Quantity Isn’t Always Quality

This year’s annual New York Film Festival will mark it’s 49th anniversary and is apparently grander than ever. Showcasing 18 percent more films than last year, critics agree that the festival is “sprinting” to its 50th anniversary next year. It is also believed that the large showcase is attempting to outshine its well-established downtown competitor, the Tribeca Film Festival. With impressive titles such as Roman Polanski’s “Carnage”, Béla Tarr’s “Turin Horse” and the never before played “My Week With Marylin” directed by Simon Curtis, I’d have to admit that the long list of established and renowned directors meant nothing to me. Admittedly, the only name drop that incurred any of my interest was Hiyao Miyazaki and perhaps his most famous animated film, “Spirited Away.” This year will mark its 10th anniversary release and the New York Film Festival will be playing it twice at the Francesca Beale Theater. Miyazaki has written and directed many of my favorite animated films and even though I own “Spirited Away”, I’m gladly spending 20 dollars to go see it on a big screen at the New York Film Festival.

Read more on the big titles and big names that will be at the New York Film Festival here.

6 thoughts on “Quantity Isn’t Always Quality

1. I love films, but I have rarely attended these festivals. They are a wonderful opportunity. I get overwhelmed with the choices. Do you have any suggestions? And I completely agree that seeing something familiar on the big screen is worth doing.

• “My Week With Marilyn” is debuting here and it’s starring Michelle Williams. Its showing will be on Sunday, the 9th and Wednesday, the 12th. They’re also displaying some of Charlie Chaplin’s work and showcasing a lot of Nikkatsu Studio’s work. I got the sense that from the article I read that with so many attractions this year, the New York Film Festival will actually feel like…a festival. And if you’re looking for an easygoing film that doesn’t require too much contemplation, I highly recommend “Spirited Away” which will be playing the 14th. I’ll be there!

• Although “Spirited Away” is an animation, I guess it requires some contemplation too because Miyazaki’s works always have some meaning in it. I want to go watch it too. Have you bought the ticket?

2. I can definitely say I am a frequent film watcher, from comedies to thrillers and mysteries. Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with “Spirited Away” or some of others you guys are referring too, however, I’m putting them on my list. We should schedule a group trip to watch some of these films as a class!