Bored? Plan a day in Chelsea!

My roommate, Natasha, and I were bored, so we decided to use Google to our advantage!  I typed in “fun things to do in NYC” and after quite a bit of searching I came across this video:

It immediately caught our attention, and since we were so completely desperate to find something to do, we called up Jiemin and set out to find this Nick Cave exhibit in the Mary Boone Gallery on 24th Street. Here is the link to the website to find out more!

When we arrived at the gallery we were a little disappointed because the half bird, half human creatures weren’t actually dancing around.  Instead, here is what we saw:

They were still extremely fun to look at, and I love how different this art is compared to so many other pieces of art that I have seen.  As we walked out of the gallery, we noticed that there were galleries everywhere!  At first I though W 24th Street was just filled with galleries, but it turns out all of W 17th Street though W 29th Street between 9th and 12th Avenue are covered in art galleries!!!  Of course we didn’t have time to look at them all, but we definitely spent a good handful of hours on those streets!  My favorite part about the galleries was that they were all so incredibly different from one another!  One of the exhibits that specifically caught my eye was by Deborah Butterfield.  The exhibit was basically a bunch of life-size horses made out of tree branches!  It’s amazing how our brains can piece together the parts of the horses and form such an amazing image.  The picture below is a taste of the exhibit!  The horse at the bottom specifically shows such a minimal outline of a horse, yet our brains can piece it together to form the image of a horse that is either dying or simply laying on the ground.

Lastly, my absolute favorite exhibit of the night was one by Paolo Ventura.  His pieces were exceptional in that they were photographs of small models that he would build himself.  They were all amazing and told stories in themselves, but the reason why I loved the exhibit so much, was they they told a story all together.  In the front of the exhibit was a book that Ventura had put together with all of his pieces.  Together they formed a story primarily about the Holocaust.  The first photograph below is a reference to how the Nazis left people’s homes after investigating them.  The second is a picture of a man escaping such horror by roof.  It’s always amazing to have a back story to pieces of art, and I love Ventura’s approach to doing that!

The best part of these galleries is that they are all FREE! So definitely make sure you make some time to visit them; you’ll love them!

One thought on “Bored? Plan a day in Chelsea!

1. The Gallery crawl is a time-honored tradition. How great that you went on your own initiative. (And yes, the fact that is is free is an added plus.) It is exciting to see the art in these spaces because you can imagine what it would be like to actually BUY something and then have it for your own! The Gallery culture is the closest thing the visual arts have to music on the radio.