“Water Stains on the Wall”

If you are interested in Asian dance, you should not miss “Water Stains on the Wall”, which is performed by Cloud Gate Dance Theatre, choreographed by Lin Hwai-min. This show will take place in Brooklyn Academy of Music(BAM) from Oct 12-15. BAM is currently celebrating its 150th Anniversary. All dancers wear sheer skirt-like costume. When they jump and spin, the “skirts” are fluttering, which create a great visual effect. In “Water Stains on the Wall”, Lin’s choreography combines chi kung and modern dance, using body movements to embody calligraphic art. This dance blends hard and soft motions, and integrate quick and slow moves. The mix of opposite elements does not produce any conflict, but comes out very naturally. I really like this form of dance which fuses the Eastern and Western dancing techniques and concepts and produces a new unique style. Whenever I see a great piece of dance show, I just have the impulse to become a dancer so that I would not just be an audience, but I would be a member of the show who is presenting this beautiful art. You can find some information about this show here. You can also find other events in BAM in that link.

One thought on ““Water Stains on the Wall”

1. Beautiful stuff. Interesting how the costumes, the lighting and the interaction of the different dancers contributes to the whole. This might be a good starting point for our discussion of dance in general as preparation for our trip to the Fall for Dance program on Nov. 1.