Jim Snidero, the Buddhist?

For my English 110h class, we are required to visit the Rubin Museum for our up-coming essay. As I perused the Rubin Museum’s website, I saw that they have live jazz performances, and that on November 4th, Jim Snidero and his quartet would be playing there. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and go see his quartet while getting a feel for the museum. While the actual museum exhibits were closed at this time, the gift shop, restaurant/bar and theater sections were open. The restaurant area was not at all what I was expecting. It was filled with people, and it had a very loud atmosphere, with modern music playing in the background. The concert, though, was held in the floor below. The acoustics were amazing: nobody used or needed a microphone (though I think the bass had an amp), and there was very little superfluous resonance.
Despite these unexpected surprises, the Jim Snidero Quartet was just as I expected: amazing. Unfortunately, they did not play any jazz standards, but I could still appreciate the originals that they performed. My favorite player was the drummer, McClenty Hunter, because exuded so much—and the right—energy in his playing, while never missing a change to interact with another band member. The last three songs that they performed were a suite that Jim Snidero composed The first movement was about the Buddha, the second movement was inspired by the Buddhist Temple museum exhibit, and the third movement was written with the deity of chaos in mind. While they band played through these songs, an image of what each song was about was projected onto a screen behind the quartet. This was a very interesting idea, because it allows the audience to see what inspired each song while the music is playing—however to me, it distracted from the music. Adding pictures to a song changes its purpose from absolute music, to program music, and this music was certainly absolute. Each song was remarkably distinctive, and amazing.

Jim Snidero\'s Website

3 thoughts on “Jim Snidero, the Buddhist?

1. Good post. Amazing how many excellent jazz musicians (and musicians of all kinds) there are in the city. The Rubin Museum auditorium is a great space to hear music of any kind. Glad you went. You make a good point about hearing unfamiliar music. There is an extra challenge when everything is completely unfamiliar. See the musicians live is a great way to experience something new like this, because the interaction among the performers gives you clear clues to the meaning of the music. (By the way, the guitarist from the group, Paul Bollenback, is on the Jazz Faculty at Queens.)

2. Paul Bollenback is on the faculty? Wow, he was amazing! I wish I had known that, I would have tried to talk to him after the show. Next time I’ll have to check before I attend a concert.