Fall for Dance – A Diversity of Expressions

While all four performances were extravagant, there were two that particularly caught my eye: the Australian ballet and “Three to Max.”  I had been to one ballet performance prior to this one–my little sister’s–during which I was thoroughly put to sleep.  During the Australian ballet, however, I was captivated by every part of it.  The presentation of the dance, for one, helped keep the focus on the dancers; the lighting affected the golden costumes so that only a very thin angle of the dancers’ bodies could be seen at every turn.  This seems like a very minor observation, but the presentation of the dance in this case did a lot to keep the focus on the dancers’ movements.  Aside from this, the dancers moved with such grace that made the movements seem easy, but simultaneously painful.  I was also able to identify various ballet steps such as a jeté and even the positions because of the clear, precise steps.

“Three to Max” was also significant, because while I occasionally found parts of it unable to keep my attention, other parts were indeed my favorite.  The repetition in the performance became a little too much, but the steps (and the memorization of them for that matter), now that I think about it, were still impressive.  I particularly loved the piece with the Indian song.  It was very expressive of the loving emotions flowing through the dancers unlike the repetitive counting.  In the end, perhaps it was the variation and diversity of the piece, and even the entire evening, that made it so great.