Classical Conducting? There’s an App for That — Reaction

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/24/arts/music/new-york-philharmonic-with-jeffrey-kahane-review.html?_r=1&ref=music

I stumbled upon this article while searching through The New York Times online and thought that it was a genius plan. What better way to gain the attention of a generation that is obsessed with technology than actually using it to your benefit? By combining classical music with modern technology, the public experiences the best of both worlds (past and future – classic and modern). It keeps classical music alive and interesting to individuals that may have thought that classical music was “dead” or “boring”. I applaud his technique and hope that one day I get to experience it firsthand.

4 thoughts on “Classical Conducting? There’s an App for That — Reaction

1. I agree. It’s the best of both worlds. Bringing the past and the future together must result in a very powerful performance.

2. Don’t forget to categorize your posts. Also, can you please make this web address an actual link in the post? If you are not sure how, go to the “Adding a Link” instructions under Tech Tutorials.

3. This is a perfect example of how Technology is not hurting art, but rather how it is helping art grow. While the Ipad may not have been a neccesity for this conductor, it makes sense to use it. Why bother having a folder to keep all of the music in, worry about damaging the music, and having to carry the folder around? Without actually effecting the sound of the performance, technology has aided classical music. People tend to associate computers with amps and sound effects. But why? There are myriad ways to integrate technology into music. The modern music stand, the modern day trumpet, the piano itself is a feat of technology! So why is it surprising to see a tablet device used as a music stand/folder? It’s logical and convenient. While I have respect for tradition, sometimes we do invent better ways to do things, and this is certainly an example. I hope that technology continues to work its way into art.