Lefrak Performance

Today, I attended the concert in Lefrak Hall.  The concert was The Nota Bene Ensemble performing a a series of works that examined the intersection of Politics and Music. It was an interesting attempt to combine music and poetry in the same space.  The concert was dynamic because of the various interactions with lighting, and the different placements of the various poets and musicians.  The event started with a poem, and then musicians would play a piece that was supposedly related or applied to the poem that was just read.  It was interesting seeing what pieces the musicians and poets thought went together.

My favorite piece that was performed was called Bang a garbage can loudly tonight.  The poem was read very monotonous, but it added ot the effect.  The poem discusses some of the problems with the world today and it focuses on Occupy Wall Street.  The poem says that the world allowed the one percent to make decisions for the ninety nine.  After the poem, the musicians played a piece that was filled with various types of drums.  It was a clear connection between the written wrod and the music.  The poem was my favorite, and so I enjoyed hearing the representation  in music.  It made me imagine someone banging on a garbage can.

This event is different from the previous two concerts I attended in Lefrak Hall.  The first was the concert we attended as a class, and as we all remember, there was one soloist accompanied by an orchestra.  The second event I attended was a much smaller concert, and the performers were not from the college, but rather a troupe that was brought in (there is a post from a few weeks ago that goes more into detail about the second performance).  This was was much more aesthetically appealing because of the different positions of the performers.  It was more engaging to the audience to have the lights switch on the stage.  I enjoyed the contrast between the different performances.

One thought on “Lefrak Performance

1. It certainly was interesting to listen to two different forms of art unite and compliment each other. I agree, the drums were my favorite part too. They made me feel like I was in a storm. When the first poem described fleeing the city, I could literally picture the scene of hundreds of footsteps running, while the drums played in the background. It definitely was a unique experience.