Embracing Diversity Dance Performance at QC

The Embracing Diversity Dance Performance at our campus last night was spectacular. It showcases the diversity of dance culture at our campus. This performance contains modern dance, Philippine dance, African dance and tap. I have been waited for this show for about two months since my jazz dance professor Carolyn Webb told us about this show.

The first piece is modern dance called Alast. It is as abstract as Three to Max that we watched in Fall for Dance. I don’t quite understand what idea or meaning it is supposed to express. The dim light and the monotonous music creates an eerie atmosphere. The group dance is more difficult than solo because all dancers have to be in same move simultaneously and our QC dancers cooperate well at the last part of the dance when they move backward while facing forward, circling around the stage with same speed and direction.

I like the third piece African dance best. Its wildness excites all the audience. From this show, you can feel human’s passion and hope for life. The dancers bring their own passion for life into the dance and dance so naturally and energetically. You can’t help being influenced by their zealousness and just want to dance with them. Of course, the energetic dance must be accompanied with drums. The two drummers who play in the show are incredible. The speed they strike the drum is unbelievably fast; it almost makes you dizzy. I appreciate this type of dance very much because its movement is so natural and it is the most original form of expressing happiness and it is a ritual to celebrate the beautiful life. It also shows the harmony among people which is lack of in our society.

It is really a great show. All the dancers are so professional. A few of them dance in three pieces and I could tell how much preparation they did behind the stage.  I really admire them and wish I could be part of the show in the future.