Bonnie and Clyde the Musical…An Epic Failure

We discussed in class how often in art you’ll see new and daring artists attempting pieces of art that have been previously explored. Sometimes this experimentation gets them worldwide popularity, and sometimes it doesn’t. Bonnie and Clyde are one of those more common times where experimentation didn’t bring very much success. The reviews of the musical in the daily news has already ravaged the play. An article in the Village Voice  discusses some of the reasons why this musical failed so miserably. The play tries to romanticize the characters Bonnie and Clyde, who historically were not very admirable nor likable. Bonnie and Clyde, who went on an infamous crime and killing spree in the 30’s, were originally admired as Robin-hood style villains who robbed banks.

Fedoras were popular '30s bathwear: Jeremy Jordan and Laura Osnes

But as their spree continued, more and more innocent people and police were killed, and more hardworking people-the owners of stores and gas stations, became the victims of Bonnie and Clyde. They were not appealing characters in real life, or on stage. They lived uncomfortably and unglamorously, and the play did not turn their deplorable acts into broadway magic. As the author of the article put it:”But the creators don’t even seem to have thought about the difficulties of building a show around two people who said, “We rob banks,” in an era when, far more frequently, banks seem to be robbing us.” I think this is another example of how “make it or break it” Broadway is. The music for the musical, obviously a large part of the show, was deafening. Over-amplified belted high notes seemed to be the musical’s method of curing any problems the play had; unfortunately for them, nothing could save that musical, no matter how many power ballads they put into it. Experimentation has  great potential in art and music, but is also liable for major failure. Look at the musical “The Book of Mormon”, Trey Parker’s and Matt Stone’s innovative creation that has become a box office hit. Then again, musicals like Bonny and Clyde, and Spiderman have faced endless adversity. Broadway is like any other scene in show business, far more lose than win.

2 thoughts on “Bonnie and Clyde the Musical…An Epic Failure

1. I think it’s unfortunate when musical’s don’t get great reviews. I’ve also heard that Bonnie and Clyde flopped. Of course, the makers of this musical were being very risky in that they created a musical in which the protagonists were historically not “likeable.” So in a sense, they sort of had it coming, but it’s still sad to think that so much effort was put into a show that is not successful. I’ve made the argument that we should be free to adapt anything we want, but I’d like to argue that we should be smart about it. I know this is extreme, but I have to make the argument that a musical about Osama Bin Laden’s ventures would not be successful in any way. You just DON’T do it!

2. This article makes me think of all that I’m missing out on. I then remind myself that it’s only my freshmen year and there is a lot of time to experience the arts of the city. I don’t consider myself a snob as yet. I still fall asleep in parts of the opera, I still yawn at concerts and I still find excuses to evade visits to museums. However, it does not mean that I don’t appreciate all the art that I witness and all the various forms of music I experience. But I feel like my journey to become a snob has only just started. I don’t wish to stop this at all. My plan is to actually be able to hold a good conversation on an opera or a concert. To know exactly what it is that I am talking about. It is going to take time and experience to mature in to the arts. Theater is an art form that is expensive to indulge in as a college student. Although, starting next semester I wish to see more than this term. I did see the Bald Soprano and found it quite an experience. I really appreciate actors and the show on a whole with the sound and dialogue playing into it. I also saw the QC production of The Marriage of Betty and Boo. Both the plays happened to be from the absurd genre. I thought of them as very entertaining and the idea itself is so fascinating. I loved the plays and I want to see more in the years to come.