Reflection – Arts in NYC Seminar

As the semester closes, a time of reflection is called for. The questions: which event was my favorite, which event was my least favorite, and what lessons did I learn from the class, must be addressed. Each answer of course must be explained in detail and reasons for the answer must be provided. I will begin with my most favorite event this whole semester: Fall for Dance.

When thinking about this class and the events we attended, Fall for Dance, without a doubt, pops into my mind instantaneously. This was my favorite for a series of reasons. One reason being the diversity it contained. Another reason being the excitement and speechlessness that it caused me to feel. And the third reason being, the countless unique interpretations that can be made by those who observed the magic of the performance. The four sections of various dance styles and music flowed seamlessly and really captured my attention. To narrow down which sections were my favorite from the performance itself, I would have to choose the first section of classic ballet and the last section, which I call the counting dance. Many people question why I chose the first section as one of my favorite parts. My answer to them is, technique and precision. It is not easy to carry out such movements in the graceful and enchanting manner that the dancers of this ballet did. I appreciate the practice they put into it and their talents. As for the counting dance, well that one is easy to distinguish from the rest, and easy to call a favorite. It stood out because it was like nothing anyone has ever seen before. The language of the numbers, the interpretative dancing, and let’s not forget the shocking “flashing”, were put together to form one major masterpiece, and for that I applaud the choreographers and everyone else that worked to make the dance a reality.

On the other side of the spectrum, my least favorite event would have to be either the Cone Sisters exhibit or the Don Giovanni Opera. Some might attack me for saying this, but I found the Cone Sisters exhibit rather dull. The room itself being gray didn’t help either. I just didn’t see what made this exhibit so special. So, a couple of art works possessed by these two women were displayed. Okay, and? Once, again this is just my opinion. The Don Giovanni Opera was probably great to many of my fellow classmates, but considering the fact that I already saw a Don Giovanni Opera earlier in the year (which I liked much more), made it repetitive and disappointing. Comparing the two operas couldn’t be helped. The actors and staging of the second opera were just not as amazing as the first opera I saw, despite the second opera being performed at the MET. However, I still found it interesting to see how different people could take one idea and turn it into multiple productions.

In conclusion, this seminar taught me many things. It taught me how to find the information about art that I desire, how much politics and controversy there is in the art world, and best of all… it taught me how to be a “snob”. Mission complete!

One thought on “Reflection – Arts in NYC Seminar

1. My reflection of this class is much different from Monika’s. Firstly, Fall for Dance was my least favorite event of the semester. It’s not that it wasn’t a good ballet, it’s because I am not a fan of Ballet. Ballet is so abstract to me; I don’t even understand why this form of dance became popular. All of the flourishes that the dancers do seem unnecessary to me, and not an adequate display of their skills and talents. I think I am more a fan of gymnastics, where the skills of the participants are directly and actively used in the tasks. Then again, it’s not much of an artform. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQwi5jm1LEY)

The Bald Soprano on the other hand was my favorite event of the semester. Everything about the play, from the acting, to the small theater, added to the experience. The feelings that eugene Ionesco had for the British middle class permeated every line of the play. I thought it was the most clever of techniques, and the most unconventional, compared to the other artforms. He never explicitly writes any lines that criticize British society, but as the play progresses, his frustration and contempt for it permeates so clearly that it left me wondering if Americans share the qualities that Ionesco rails against. It was also quite interesting for me to learn how the theater of the absurd affected modern entertainment. While the absurdist movement was quite popular in literature, I didn’t realize its impact on television shows, such as Seinfeld. The play was thought provoking and engaging, more than any other art we explored this semester.