The Book of Mormon: Politically Incorrect

Two of my closest friends are big fans of the show South Park. So, as soon as advertisements for Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s new musical, The Book of Mormon, were splayed across every MTA bus, they would not stop talking about it. The musical, which has been playing on Broadway since March of this year, has already won 9 Tony Awards among others. The profanity and blasphemy, all done in catchy numbers and joyful choreography, is very characteristic of both Parker and Stone and is perfectly up their alley. Tickets are nearly impossible to get and my friends and I have been waiting for this winter break to try to get student rush tickets after listening to the soundtrack countless times over the summer.

The story follows two young and rather naive, Mormon missionaries as they travel to an AIDS ridden and God hating tribe in Africa. The young men try and spread the word of God, but the harder their attempts are, the more futile the mission reveals itself to be. Both Parker and Stone love stirring up some religious controversy so they display the ridiculousness of the missionaries and the beliefs they so valiantly preach through songs and dance that mock the validity and conviction of faith in a modern context.

The musical is filled with profanity and crude dialogue, but all in good taste…if that’s possible to claim. The musical obviously is respected judging by how many awards it has won, but the musical is also extremely approachable and not intimidating at all. I’ve attached one of my favorite numbers, All American Prophet, so I could share the hilariousness and genius with all of you. However, viewer discretion is advised.

watch?v=LHuKr746Csw&feature=related