The Evolution of Woman In Art

Disclaimer: Although this blog post’s main idea is not located in New York City, I thought that the video would be something interesting for all to see.
Art from all over the world has had a cumulative influence on the artists of today. With New York being a haven for both established and up-and-coming artists, one must look back at the history and evolution of a common interest in art.
Artists have been able to capture the irresistible beauty that a woman possesses with the simple stroke of their brushes.  Styles, qualities, and subjective beauty has varied over the many years that the artist has been ensnared by the allure of woman.  A video, created by Phillip Scott Johnson, accurately titled “500 Years Of Female Portraits In Western Art”, was made in order to be able to easily trace the different representations of women throughout time.  Apart from the differing representations of women, one can note the evolution of the appreciated style of beauty of women over the past 800 years. The video starts from second half of the 12th century with the painting of “Archangel”, and concludes with “Portrait of Francoise” by Pablo Picasso.

To view the full article click here.

“500 Years Of Female Portraits In Western Art” can be viewed right below

3 thoughts on “The Evolution of Woman In Art

1. This video is awesome. It gives me a chance to see so many famous painting at one time. The style of female portrait changes as the time passing. I find that the female portraits become more abstract near the end of this video. It’s a great experience to watch this video. I suggest everyone to watch it.

2. Very interesting video. Of course, it does give a very limited view of the Western vision. It is quite surprising how easily each portrait morphs into the next.

3. After visiting the Jewish Museum and viewing some of Picasso’s paintings, his passion and obsession with the female body is clearly evident. However, my feelings are lukewarm when it comes to his work. Many of his in-depth, full scale portraits are beautiful, while I question the true value of many of his other “simpler” looking pieces. But who am I to judge?