Break of Noon

I was astonished at the size of the Lucile Theater. I wasn’t expecting a performance for a hundred or so people; it made a more intimate setting in a way. I appreciated the proximity to the actors and that I was able to hear and see everything so clearly. I usually don’t go to small plays like these ones, but I am now more interested and open-minded about these “off-broadway” events.

The beginning was very strange I must say. The monologue, which I thought was never going to end, finally ended with a huge “boom” and a blinding light, and continued to do so at the end of every scene. It was quite annoying and hurt my eyes, but it did keep me wide-awake. Later I realized that this related to the storyline: it was almost as if the audience was experiencing the same thing that John Smith had experienced when God saved him. I also noticed that there wasn’t any music in the background, or for the most part. It allowed me to relate to the play and have a more intimate connection – not like watching a musical or even a TV show.

Overall I liked the play. I didn’t particularly like his performance, especially his monologues or when he had to be very emotional. It just seemed forced and unnatural most of the time, which didn’t allow me to fully enjoy the play. I thought that other supporting actors outshined him that night, and maybe it was only that night. Who knows?

If I had to ask one question to the scriptwriter, I would definitely ask him why he even thought about writing about such a topic. It seemed very bizarre to me that so many people would first of all be against John Smith and say that he was bluffing, but also why would so many people care that he thought God saved him? It just didn’t make sense to me. Doesn’t this happen all the time in real life? I would just never bother to harass a person for their near death experience, even if I don’t think they were really saved by mystical creature.

Posted: December 7th, 2010
Categories: Tanya Shtrauh, The Break of Noon
Tags:
Comments: No Comments.