DanceDanceDance

I expected to enjoy Fall for Dance. I appreciated the art of dance since I started dancing at the age of 4. However, I’ve never had the opportunity to watch something like Red Angels or the flamenco dance. I liked that this wasn’t the typical ballet that I would usually go to. These 4 dances were relatively short and the different styles of dance kept me awake.

My favorite of the night was the flamenco dance. All the music was live and I was able to see a musical performance as well as the beautiful dance. It was particularly memorable because it’s not very often that I get to feel so energized watching a dance. It was refreshing to see something nontraditional to the culture, which explains why people enjoy watching flamenco and why it was in this event at all. I wasn’t sure though if they were tap dancing, or if that was purely flamenco dance. Nevertheless, the dance was exciting and passionate. I would like to see more of this type of dance in the future.

The Red Angels was also worth mentioning. The dance was more traditional but not quite. I would categorize as modern dance, but it still shows the athleticism of a ballet dancer. The dancers showed off their muscles and curves in their red unitards, which I suppose was one of the aspects of the performance. Their moves were a bit rigid for my taste and I’m still unsure of the stylistic choice of the choreographer. But the dance speaks of equality to me, both of the sexes and of their movement. I’m sure there are many more themes that I wasn’t able to pick up right away; I consider that a success.

Sadly, I have nothing interesting to say about the other 2 dances of the night. I couldn’t relate to these dances and found them strange and boring, especially the last one. It was painful to keep my eyes open by the end and almost ruined the whole experience. Luckily the last dance was finally over, but I was still able to take away a new experience and a new interest in flamenco dance.

Posted: December 7th, 2010
Categories: Fall for Dance, Tanya Shtrauh
Tags:
Comments: No Comments.